Review by Kinkini -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Review by Kinkini -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Embalmer" by Vincent Zandri.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is a mortician murderer, lurking in the dark, who has already taken three women and embalmed them alive.

Pro author Vincent Zandri has not only created a riveting detective story but also weaved in horrifying twists that a crime thriller like The Embalmer must possess. After three-consequent murders demonstrating the same pattern, Detective Miller needs Steve Jobz (not the super-rich business magnate Jobs) to help him solve the crime. Jobz is a former police, fired from duty due to an untoward incident and as a consequence, a victim of negative publicity. Now he leads a mundane life, with a boring Government job. Miller chooses him because of his honesty and ability to think out-of-the-box.

The story moves very fast and we not only know about three committed murders but also witness the criminal mind hatching his next. While Jobz and Miller rack their brains, we cruise through some nail-biting moments of the cat-and-mouse chase. While Jobz zeroes in on the perpetrator, the latter decides to eliminate this threat. Will Steve Jobz be another embalmed victim or would he be able to make it alive?

The Embalmer is a fascinating book and I like it because of its smooth story-telling. The story does not move back-and-forth while confusing the reader. Interestingly, the ‘stories’ of both the perpetrator and the police move simultaneously, making it an open game for the reader. Although I am a fan of crime shows and an ardent reader of the Sherlock Holmes Series, I could not stop reading until I finished reading this fresh detective novel. The author ensures that there are small windows of comic relief throughout the book. Therefore, it does not turn monotonous at any given point.

However, while reading the book, I felt like the author is giving away the mystery through various small details. Much before Steve Jobz realises who the murderer is, I am able to recognise him due to these tiny specifics, not too difficult for anyone to comprehend. This takes away a little bit from the total experience of reading this book. However, if I consider this as an intentional act, I must say that despite knowing the killer, the chase between the police and the assassin is definitely worth a read.

Apart from the giving away the killer, there are a few grammatical issues in the book too. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is a perfect book for those who love crime thrillers, suspense, fiction, detective stories, serial killing stories, etc. However, there are some explicit sexual scenes and gory details of murder, which makes it off-limits for children and teens. This is a kind of story, which keeps the antagonist very real. He is definitely as bad as we think a criminal can be, but he is also a part of the same society that we live in.

The Embalmer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kinkini's review? Post a comment saying so!
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I really liked this book. I thought the dialogue was really funny and I enjoyed the occasional views we had into the life of the killer. I agree a very quick fun read. Thanks for the review!
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

The dialogues were funny for sure. Hope this turns out to be a great series.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I too read and reviewed this book. I agree with your view that being able to identify the murderer was a let down. The thrill of this book is in the chase. Thanks for the review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Great review. Definitely worth knowing that you're likely to figure out the mystery before the reveal, as that would be a real disappointment for me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”