Review by jgraney8 -- Small Change by Keddie Hughes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jgraney8 -- Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by jgraney8 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Small Change" by Keddie Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Small Change by Keddie Hughes is one of those novels where you just want to grab the main characters and shake them. Set in Glasgow, Izzy Campbell works as a volunteer for the Citizens Advice Bureau. Her last client fails to keep his appointment, but his brother, Sean Doctery, takes his place. Sean is a freelance reporter investigating the financial troubles of the Rangers' football (soccer for Americans) team. At this time her husband, Jim Campbell is involved in trying to finalize an agreement with the Rangers for his company. If completed, the agreement would be a huge feather in his cap. Izzy’s attraction to Sean pulls her away from her deteriorating marriage with Jim.

Izzy’s life is bounded by her family, Jim’s career, her volunteer work, and her studies for a degree in social work. Outside her world is the intense alcohol-fueled world of Glasgow football. This world has enthralled Jim. He seeks the deal with the Rangers as a capstone of his career within his company. The deal consumes Jim so much he fails to recognize the deterioration of their marriage. Jim relies on social drinking to smooth the way for the deal and to help him forget his failure to act in a deadly situation. A substory involves Jim fighting against recognizing the control alcohol asserts over his life. This story is told through short dialogues at the end of chapters between Jim and his therapist.

According to the postscript, the novel borrows from actual events including the liquidation of the Rangers Football Club. The alcoholism highlighted in the novel reflects a societal problem in Glasgow and Scotland. The Citizens Advice Bureau continues to effectively provide advice to millions of people in the U.K.

Keddie Hughes portrays Izzy and Jim with human frailties. The author shows how well-meaning people can make decisions that fracture a marriage due to outside forces. The third-person narration represents Izzy’s inner struggles well. Keddie Hughes lets the story unfold without preaching or moralizing. The characters prove surprisingly sympathetic despite their flaws and could well be neighbors. The novel is well-edited.

The novel unfolds with tensions growing out of the characters' struggles with alcoholism, relationships, and the vagaries of life. It explores people in the everyday world. The writing does not show off, but it takes the reader along respectfully through the lives of the two main characters. This novel is not for the reader who has a need for black and white moral divisions. It is for the reader aware of the ambiguities of life and the struggles people face in their short spans on this earth. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I could relate to the characters and their struggles even if I disagreed with their decisions.

Small Change
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jgraney8's review? Post a comment saying so!
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Thanks for the review.

I read the sample of this book and really disliked the characters. I hated Jim for being a dense alcoholic, and I disliked Izzy for not standing up for herself and for letting her attraction to Sean compromise her professional ethics.

I guess, sometimes, I want black and white morality.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

FictionLover wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 19:54 Thanks for the review.

I read the sample of this book and really disliked the characters. I hated Jim for being a dense alcoholic, and I disliked Izzy for not standing up for herself and for letting her attraction to Sean compromise her professional ethics.

I found Izzy frustrating. She did seem to have insufficient internal mooring to really take a stand. Still, I liked how the author portrayed her struggles.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

jgraney8 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 17:58
FictionLover wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 19:54 Thanks for the review.

I found Izzy frustrating. She did seem to have insufficient internal mooring to really take a stand. Still, I liked how the author portrayed her struggles.
I admit, sometimes I am just impatient with characters.

But I believe that was book of the day twice in recent months, and both times by the end of the sample, I passed.

:techie-studyingbrown:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”