Review by ValBookReviews -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Review by ValBookReviews -- The Spirit of Want

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Want an emotional ride! There are no questions, I was immediately drawn in by the description, sample pages and reviews of The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles. Wherefore, I was too excited to win a free copy as the book of the day to read and review. And I assure you, this amazing plot of what the spirit wants does not disappoint. The narrative is more riveting than you will ever imagine and think.

The Spirit of Want is simply about a reputable defense attorney, Jennifer MacBiel who seems to make all the wrong decisions by yielding to what she wants. Her tale begins with a distorted lie as she marries a medical surgeon, Luke Osborne to cover it up. She also conceives and births a beautiful child that and nearly regrets her. Before you know it, she leaves her new life behind and runs away with an accused, high-powered, TV Evangelist, Hower Bain, whom she falls in love with.

Although I've never read a William Coles novel, I found the book to be written in three fascinating parts. In the beginning, I would have never expected Jennifer to allude to such bold and shrewd choices. I was taken aback by her lack of accountability towards her responsibility as a licensed attorney. In the middle, I was floored by her spirit of want as well as the other family members, A.J., Agnes, Elizabeth, Luke, and Hower. The ending surprises me with multiple conclusions, yet somewhat predictable.

This brings me to what I absolutely like about The Spirit of Want. I like that Elizabeth is caring, minus one notable flaw. The book being so fast pace until I could not put it down. William Coles shocking me beyond my wildest beliefs. Multiple components of the story that captivated my full attention and kept me speechless, such as child molestation, church and legal concerns, adultery, hospital, and political policies.

On the other hand, I do not like that Jennifer never knew her real identity. The extreme dislike her mother displayed toward her is shameful. Evangelist Hower's questionable mischiefs are not trustworthy. His conniving ways are appalling and embarrassing, regarding the Holy doctrines of the Church of Christ. And as a mother who loves her children and grandchildren dearly, I cannot relate to any mom that abandons hers. I merely do not understand the maternal disconnect between a mother and her child.

Unlike most others, I rate The Spirit of Want 3 out of 4 stars because of several grammatical and spelling errors, in addition to my dislikes. Nonetheless, I recommend The Spirit of Want to every church leader and anyone who enjoys a good literally read. There is enough drama, intrigue, and turmoil to carry you through the entire storyline. Congratulations to William H. Coles on a solid gold read.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ValBookReviews's review? Post a comment saying so!
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. Jennifer sounds like a seriously messed up person who makes very bad life decisions. All of which create a good story.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Helen_Combe wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 04:27 Great review. Jennifer sounds like a seriously messed up person who makes very bad life decisions. All of which create a good story.
Thank you, Helen, for taking the time to stop by to read and reply. I assure you, Jennifer's story is one to read. She is more than a mess. I mean, this story speaks to the very heart of anyone that is indecision. Not to mention the consequences that follow after. :)
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

"Things could happen even to the best of us" is a proverbial adage that seems to apply to this piece's characters. We are all humans who have our own flaws anyway, and yet I do hope that we all get to have that chance at redemption in fictional works like this and especially in real life. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This brings me to what I absolutely like about The Spirit of Want. I like that Elizabeth is caring, minus one notable flaw. The book being so fast pace until I could not put it down. William Coles shocking me beyond my wildest beliefs. Multiple components of the story that captivated my full attention and kept me speechless, such as child molestation, church and legal concerns, adultery, hospital, and political policies.
Wow! These are a lot of controversial subjects and I wonder how they're all tied together and approached in this book. I like a good fast-paced story that keeps me turning the pages and your enthusiasm for the novel is contagious, thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”