Review by Rosemary Khathibe -- Peppermint Mocha Murder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Review by Rosemary Khathibe -- Peppermint Mocha Murder

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Peppermint Mocha Murder" by Pam Moll.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll is a murder mystery book based on Molly Brewster. She was a 30-year-old coffee shop owner and a gardener who grew spices, such as oregano, thyme, dill, rosemary and lemongrass. In her coffee shop, the Bean, Molly had five employees, namely Aurora, Bales, Erica, Chris and Fiona.

Molly remained active in her business until a fisherman's death, Jim Grist, changed everything. Now all she ever wanted to do was to find the murderer. However, this desire made her the prime suspect. The more she was found investigating the murder, the more she got in trouble with the police. And with the forensic evidence gathered by the detectives, it became even more difficult for Molly to prove herself innocent.

The only thing I did not like about the book was the fact that it was very slow-paced in the beginning. The first few chapters were merely about the main protagonist's background, her coffee shop, her employees, delivery people and regular customers.

What I liked was Molly's good-hearted personality. She could do anything to help anyone. Even though Jim was disliked by everyone in Bay Isles, Molly took time off work and investigated his murder. How can I forget her loving and caring dog? I found myself tearing up when it defended Molly against the psychopath.

The story also taught me how to hide my true identity when playing undercover. For example, one should not state his or her real name, but rather use the family member's name that can easily be remembered. The surroundings in the book were vividly described. I felt like I was there touring Granny Dee's mansion. It was the huge brick and stucco residence with a massive kitchen, a large dining room, a ballroom for entertaining guests, a library and a cellar situated under the main floor.

Even though Peppermint Mocha Murder is the first book of the Holidays Are Murder series, it can be read as a standalone. It was easy to read, and its suspense and mystery kept me hooked the whole way through. Just when I thought I knew what to expect, I encountered subtle revelation in almost every page.

In conclusion, I am awarding Peppermint Mocha Murder 4 out of 4 stars. The book seemed to be professionally edited and proofread: out of 230 pages, I spotted only two errors. I recommend this book to everyone who loves murder mystery genre.

Peppermint Mocha Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Khathibe's review? Post a comment saying so!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds interesting. I like a good mystery and this one sounds like it comes with some good writing as well. Thanks for the great review!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

A murder-solving barista? Sounds like a great book to read with any flavor mocha!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

jcoad wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 18:25 Sounds interesting. I like a good mystery and this one sounds like it comes with some good writing as well. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for your comment Jcoad. Just like you, I love mystery: one of the reasons I enjoyed the book.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Dael Reader wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 19:26 A murder-solving barista? Sounds like a great book to read with any flavor mocha!
It is really a great read Dael. Thanks for passing by.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I like a good murder mystery with a strong female character and a loyal pet is a plus. I will likely give this book a try. Thank you for a good review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I love the cover. Sounds like a fun book. I hope I get to read it soon. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Sicily Joy wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 13:41 I like a good murder mystery with a strong female character and a loyal pet is a plus. I will likely give this book a try. Thank you for a good review.
Please give it a try, you will enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

LaurenHaupt wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 22:02 I love the cover. Sounds like a fun book. I hope I get to read it soon. Thanks for the review!
It is really a fun book. Thanks for your comment.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

The suspense and mystery will definitely intrigue me. The main character, Molly seems like someone I can relate to really well. Thanks for the review
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. It's good that the book taught you how to hide your true identity when playing undercover! I wonder if you learnt it because of Molly's mistakes or her cleverness? :wink:
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I love cozy mysteries. It's good to see one here. I am going to put this on my to read shelf.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

asere_maryanne wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 02:36 The suspense and mystery will definitely intrigue me. The main character, Molly seems like someone I can relate to really well. Thanks for the review
Molly is really fascinating. You won't be disappointed. Thanks for passing by.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Allyseria wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 14:02 Thank you for your review. It's good that the book taught you how to hide your true identity when playing undercover! I wonder if you learnt it because of Molly's mistakes or her cleverness? :wink:
Hahaha, I learned it through Molly's cleverness dear. She is really a smart woman. Thanks for commenting.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

FictionLover wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 22:10 I love cozy mysteries. It's good to see one here. I am going to put this on my to read shelf.
And you won't be disappointed, do give it a chance. Thanks for passing by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”