Review by Kajori50 -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review by Kajori50 -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in an alternate version of 19th century California, The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill is a gritty coming of age tale that teleports the reader to a completely different realm. Hill expertly weaves the elements of myriad genres like steam-punk, historical fantasy, spiritualism and romance to create a thrilling tale.

The story begins with a frail old woman named Zetta, rescuing a foundling, who also happens to be her great-granddaughter, from an asylum bound train with the guidance of the spirit of her husband, Javier. Together they escape the train at the quiet Thistlewood Station. However, on the way to the village of Promise, Zetta leaves the mortal world. Fifteen years later, the infant grows up to be Juanita Elise Jame-Navarro, Promise's very own mystic traveller. In her first important vision, Juanita is entrusted with a “dire" mission by Moses himself. She is warned that if she is unable to succeed then her “community and all its inhabitants will cease to exist”. Thus, at the tender age of fifteen, begins Juanita's “race with death.”

However, Juanita's first ambush goes horribly awry and her community really ceases to exist. An injured and betrayed Juanita is then taken under the wing of the mysterious man named Guide. After two years, Juanita is once again burdened with a mission by her ancestors from the Shadow World. To become a “true engine woman”, Juanita would have to distinguish between friends and foes and be willing to do anything in order to survive.

Hill masterfully crafts a 19th century California that never really existed but could very well exist. She focuses on the anthropology of the world she created, emphasizing on the similarities as well as the dissimilarities of it with the real world. She subtly imbibes the elements of steam-punk fiction through the presence of goggle-wearing characters, mystical airships, the mechanical clock-man and of course the steam trains. Also, I loved the way she brilliantly integrates Biblical undertones in her novel.

Hill's words bring life to the story. Her vivid writing entrances the reader and makes him or her feel like a character in the book. Just like a shaman, Hill pulls the reader into her world and makes him or her walk the “corridor between the worlds of life and death” alongside Juanita and company. She makes the reader laugh and cry with her characters. Her masterful use of myriad imageries makes the burning heat of the desert, the smell of tobacco, the taste of bean paste etc. come alive. The seamless shifting between Juanita's first person point of view and Bill’s third person point of view, gives the reader a visceral experience of spiritual possession. However, the overuse of hyphens and commas made the writing feel a little stilted at times.

The one thing that I absolutely loved about the book is the way Hill sketched her characters. None of the characters are one-dimensional. They all were round characters with shades of grey. However, Juanita is the one who touched my heart. At the tender age of fifteen, she was burdened with a duty that could be considered too much for even a man twice her age. The betrayals she faced wrenched my heart. Yet, she never gave up. She lost everybody from her community but still she plodded on. The way she had to deal with her assaulter for the sake of her mission was gut-wrenching. Her eyes were truly “hero's eyes". Antonio was a puzzling character. I was confused whether to like him or hate him. Having said that, the spirits definitely frazzled me. I still conflicting thoughts about them. On the other hand, Guide was truly an intriguing character. He was there with Juanita in every step of the way. I have to mention that their May-December romance was really out of the box.

Quite surprisingly the book addresses a number of themes like homosexuality, assault, rape, sodomy, healing through love-making etc. I sincerely believe that the book should have come with trigger warnings. The cover and the YA description could have fooled anybody. I found the themes to be a tad too dark for a YA book.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I spotted a few errors in the book and believe that it needs another round of editing and proofreading. Despite belonging to the YA genre, this book is not for the faint-hearted. I recommend this book to mature readers who do not mind reading dark themes and explicit descriptions.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds like a great book with a great "atmosphere". I wasn't expecting to see the 3 stars at the bottom of the review. What pulled it down to 3 stars?
Thanks for the very thorough and descriptive review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

jcoad wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 10:29 Sounds like a great book with a great "atmosphere". I wasn't expecting to see the 3 stars at the bottom of the review. What pulled it down to 3 stars?
Thanks for the very thorough and descriptive review!
With regards to the genre and the cover, the themes addressed were quite dark. Also, they were depicted in an explicit manner. This was a bit unexpected. Hence, the rating.

Thank you so much for your feedback. :D
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I like the cover. I like that it's a paranormal book. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul

LaurenHaupt wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 21:50 I like the cover. I like that it's a paranormal book. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for stopping by. :D
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds intense and intriguing. For example, how did baby Juanita survive when Zetta died? Though I'm still on the fence about reading, I must commend you for the articulate review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 13:28 The book sounds intense and intriguing. For example, how did baby Juanita survive when Zetta died? Though I'm still on the fence about reading, I must commend you for the articulate review!
It is an intense read. Thank you so much. :)
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I don't really like 'dark' stories but I appreciate your well worded review.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill, a historical fantasy. I never read a historical fantasy but if I like fantasy. So this novel is my kind of book.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Susmita Biswas wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 00:23 The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill, a historical fantasy. I never read a historical fantasy but if I like fantasy. So this novel is my kind of book.
It is a different kind of book. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it.

Thank you for stopping by. :)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Hill's words bring life to the story. Her vivid writing entrances the reader and makes him or her feel like a character in the book. Just like a shaman, Hill pulls the reader into her world and makes him or her walk the “corridor between the worlds of life and death” alongside Juanita and company. She makes the reader laugh and cry with her characters. Her masterful use of myriad imageries makes the burning heat of the desert, the smell of tobacco, the taste of bean paste etc. come alive. The seamless shifting between Juanita's first person point of view and Bill’s third person point of view, gives the reader a visceral experience of spiritual possession. However, the overuse of hyphens and commas made the writing feel a little stilted at times.
What an amazing comparison! Writers can, definitely, work magic.
The one thing that I absolutely loved about the book is the way Hill sketched her characters. None of the characters are one-dimensional. They all were round characters with shades of grey. However, Juanita is the one who touched my heart. At the tender age of fifteen, she was burdened with a duty that could be considered too much for even a man twice her age. The betrayals she faced wrenched my heart. Yet, she never gave up. She lost everybody from her community but still she plodded on. The way she had to deal with her assaulter for the sake of her mission was gut-wrenching. Her eyes were truly “hero's eyes". Antonio was a puzzling character. I was confused whether to like him or hate him. Having said that, the spirits definitely frazzled me. I still conflicting thoughts about them. On the other hand, Guide was truly an intriguing character. He was there with Juanita in every step of the way. I have to mention that their May-December romance was really out of the box.
This is one of the most important aspects of a book, in my opinion. I just can't relate to one-dimensional characters.
Quite surprisingly the book addresses a number of themes like homosexuality, assault, rape, sodomy, healing through love-making etc. I sincerely believe that the book should have come with trigger warnings. The cover and the YA description could have fooled anybody. I found the themes to be a tad too dark for a YA book.
I totally agree. I know a lot of people make fun of trigger warnings but there are, certainly, some subjects that can be very hard for some people. Thank you for mentioning it.

I'm not familiar with steampunk but your review got me very excited to read this book. Thanks!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Kajori50 wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 14:27 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
She subtly imbibes the elements of steam-punk fiction through the presence of goggle-wearing characters, mystical airships, the mechanical clock-man and of course the steam trains.
Thanks for including the things that make up a steam-punk fiction book. The author wrote well, as she seemed to have included many sensory descriptions, and she developed the characters well. I agree with you that this book doesn't seem like a YA book with all the heavy topics. It should include a disclaimer in the description of the book.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Despite belonging to the YA genre, this book is not for the faint-hearted. I recommend this book to mature readers who do not mind reading dark themes and explicit descriptions.
I've read a lot of reviews about this piece, and they vary in perspective more than usual. Your two sentences made things clearer for me, though. Thank you for your honest and helpful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Hill masterfully crafts a 19th century California that never really existed but could very well exist. She focuses on the anthropology of the world she created, emphasizing on the similarities as well as the dissimilarities of it with the real world. She subtly imbibes the elements of steam-punk fiction through the presence of goggle-wearing characters, mystical airships, the mechanical clock-man and of course the steam trains. Also, I loved the way she brilliantly integrates Biblical undertones in her novel.
This was a really powerful part of your review. I am not much of a fantasy reader, although I like historical fiction, but it sounds like the author has accomplished something pretty special.

Thanks for detailed review, as well as content/theme warnings!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I completely agree that the book should have trigger warnings. Hill included some incredibly controversial topics such as rape and same-sex relationships. While it was a very brave move on her part, the book should not be classified as YA. Thanks for the honest review.
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”