Review by David Koreas -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by David Koreas -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by David Koreas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Chrome Mountain is a fictional novel set in the American society. Its stories are covered in the different states including New Mexico, California and San Antonio just to mention a few. It is a reflection of a hub of activities taking place in the American society. Criminal gangs terrorise the people, there is a lot of invention going on in America. A private invention and innovation centre has been established to spearhead technological advancement. Apart from that, the book also highlights the plight of Americans; poverty, crimes and poor working conditions. Poverty leads the youth into criminal activities, for instance, Sonya joins the gang to escape the poverty at their home. She wants to make a life for herself.

I was amused by the discussion of technology. The world is getting a smaller and better place all thanks to technology. Technology makes life easier. The solar automated power station is marvellous. Trey is a technocrat. He comes up with fantastic ideas and innovation. He makes a deadly weapon which he soon realizes can be a recipe for destruction when it lands in the wrong hands. The weapons could destroy his family, his friends and his loved ones. The world will not be safe all thanks to his innovation. He decides on breaking down the gadget and work on weaker projects. The money could wait. I loved his attitude. He is selfless. He lets go of a project that he has spent nearly a year to develop to keep the people safe. If only all inventors were like Trey!

Apart from that, I liked the author's choice of words and his rich vocabulary. The author uses interesting words that are mouthwatering. Apart from learning the novel plot, I was intrigued into learning new words and grammar. Moreover, the style of his writing is excellent. The flashbacks help understand certain characters like Sonya better. The history of her family is narrated in flashbacks and that helps the reader to understand her actions. At first, someone can mistake her for a spoilt brat.

However, I must say it was difficult to follow the book's plot at times. I was left agape on many occasions. For instance, It was difficult to comprehend the book at its setting. The transitions were difficult to follow. Moreover, many characters were introduced within a short span of time. I felt like giving up on the book. It is only after the chapter three that the book's content became clear. From there, it was a walk in the park.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. There's no way I'm giving it all the marks yet it had its flaws. I deducted the one star due to the vast scenes and characters at the onset who were difficult to understand. The novel was difficult to understand at the onset. I would recommend the book to lovers of thriller film and novel. They will be intrigued by the book's content.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like David Koreas's review? Post a comment saying so!
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

Thanks for the review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”