Review by Lunastella -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Lunastella -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Concealment" by Rose Edmunds.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Could you imagine if you had to fake your entire life? How would you feel if you had to be an impostor every hour of the day? This is just the beginning of what Amy has to deal with. But when her obnoxious coworker gets murdered, things get way more complicated, and we find Amy fighting to unravel a wave of lies while trying to see through people's facades and deal with her own messy past that seems to come back to haunt her, while her well-constructed illusion of the perfect life seems to crumble.

This is a fast-paced thriller, especially after the first few chapters. But don’t think you’ll get bored at the beginning! The author leaves clues and raises questions from the very beginning, making you wonder what will happen next and leaving you a breadcrumb trail that forces you to follow and keep reading for just one more chapter until you can’t put the book down. You’ll find yourself trying all the time to discern what’s real from what's not and enjoying every twist this thriller throws at you. Rose Edmunds is a master of the “showing, not telling” technique, that so many authors struggle with, and she managed to capture my attention in every chapter. Most of them are narrated from Amy’s viewpoint, with a few exceptions that allow you to have a more kaleidoscopic view of the very tricky plot.

Even though this is isn’t a hard read, it deals with some important topics like the consequences of child abuse, mental illness and identity. Throughout her very enjoyable novel, Rose Edmunds raises some serious questions: What constitutes child abuse? Is it just hitting a child or should it include subtler forms of negligence? How far can you excuse someone’s behavior due to a mental illness? What are our obligations towards our parents? How much can we really distance ourselves from our past? What is acceptable to do in order to climb the corporate ladder?

All over the novel, Rose Edmunds has her characters repeat this phrase:
“Perception is reality.”
This makes you wonder: What’s real? How far can you trust your own perceptions? What constitutes a lie? Does something become real if we repeat it enough? Throughout the entire book I couldn't stop asking myself: Where do paranoia ends and real persecution begins?

Concealment also gives you an inside view into the corporate and finance world and, let me tell you, it isn’t always a pretty sight. We see, for example, diversity being used just to fill out a quota and give the appearance of tolerance, micromanaging bosses, disposable employees, the quest to appear perfect and invincible for fear of being fired, manipulation through gaslighting and the limits of how far would people go to keep a job and remain successful.

The only thing I didn’t like that much about this book was the abundance of tax-related and financial terminology. I admit I had to look up more than one term to really get the idea of what was going on. It’s not a big deal, but I would’ve appreciated if the author provided a bit of an explanation after using these terms. I understand the characters can’t use layman terms because they’re in a professional environment and it would make the dialogue seem fake, but a brief explanation would’ve made the book easier to read.

The editing of this novel is very good, albeit not perfect. There are some missing commas, hyphens and other minor details that can be quickly fixed with a second run of editing. I would’ve really liked to rate this book with 4 stars, but I was able to find more than ten mistakes, so I had to subtract a star. For an original and very well-constructed plot, a very complex but relatable main character and raising important questions while making the book engaging and hard to put down I rate Concealment 3 out of 4 stars and I would definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good psychological thriller or wants to dive into the intricate machinery of the corporate world or ponder about the questions of identity and reality.

This is just the first installment of the Crazy Amy series, and I’ll be reading the next novels for sure.

Concealment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lunastella's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, your review is thorough and thought provoking. You sum up the book well - original and well constructed plot, complex but relatable main character and raising important questions while making the book engaging and hard to put down. I concur!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

This is a great review and fun to read! I'm not sure if conspiracy stories are my thing, but I might give it a look. Thanks for a wonderful review :D
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This is the fourth review I've read on this book. What had been notable in your version are the points where you've started to challenge usual definitions and perspectives.
What constitutes child abuse? Is it just hitting a child or should it include subtler forms of negligence? How far can you excuse someone’s behavior due to a mental illness? What are our obligations towards our parents? How much can we really distance ourselves from our past? What is acceptable to do in order to climb the corporate ladder?
Such are valid questions to ask indeed. There are also additional points to ask as well. How extensive was the scope of the point of view (POV) used in the storytelling? Was it just a limited omniscient or a third person POV? A full omniscient viewpoint would really help in this case of a quest for "truth," but such has always been hard to pull off based on what I've read so far from more experienced book authors. Going beyond book writing and getting closer to reality, though, there are always reasons and scenarios that are not readily gleanable to everyone but would have been more beneficial if such could be brought out. It takes an open mind and willingness to challenge what's readily obvious to determine what's true. Even so, understanding and respect would also be helpful given the limits of our human abilities and perceptions. Thus, thank you for trying to have such factors considered in your eye-opening review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Cotwani wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 00:59 Wow, your review is thorough and thought provoking. You sum up the book well - original and well constructed plot, complex but relatable main character and raising important questions while making the book engaging and hard to put down. I concur!
Thank you so much for your comment! It’s hard to sum up a book that raises so many questions.

JudasFm wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 20:13 This is a great review and fun to read! I'm not sure if conspiracy stories are my thing, but I might give it a look. Thanks for a wonderful review :D
Thanks for your kind words. I understand it might not be a book for everyone, but I hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a chance.

Espie wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 04:10 This is the fourth review I've read on this book. What had been notable in your version are the points where you've started to challenge usual definitions and perspectives.
What constitutes child abuse? Is it just hitting a child or should it include subtler forms of negligence? How far can you excuse someone’s behavior due to a mental illness? What are our obligations towards our parents? How much can we really distance ourselves from our past? What is acceptable to do in order to climb the corporate ladder?
Such are valid questions to ask indeed. There are also additional points to ask as well. How extensive was the scope of the point of view (POV) used in the storytelling? Was it just a limited omniscient or a third person POV? A full omniscient viewpoint would really help in this case of a quest for "truth," but such has always been hard to pull off based on what I've read so far from more experienced book authors. Going beyond book writing and getting closer to reality, though, there are always reasons and scenarios that are not readily gleanable to everyone but would have been more beneficial if such could be brought out. It takes an open mind and willingness to challenge what's readily obvious to determine what's true. Even so, understanding and respect would also be helpful given the limits of our human abilities and perceptions. Thus, thank you for trying to have such factors considered in your eye-opening review.
It’s a very challenging book, that constantly makes you question your assumptions and doubt your perception. I think pondering these questions, even if we might not get a definite answer, enriches us as humans and as readers.
You’re definitely right in the fact that this book is mostly narrated by the main character and we only get a skewed perspective of the facts, but I think Amy’s a very complex and interesting character and it’s worth it to try to empathize with her point of view.
Thanks for your reflection, Espie.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow, you definitely showed me a side that I didn't see. Thank you for your review! I know about this book since I have read it, and I too award the same rating.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Concealment also gives you an inside view into the corporate and finance world and, let me tell you, it isn’t always a pretty sight. We see, for example, diversity being used just to fill out a quota and give the appearance of tolerance, micromanaging bosses, disposable employees, the quest to appear perfect and invincible for fear of being fired, manipulation through gaslighting and the limits of how far would people go to keep a job and remain successful.

Firstly and most importantly, I loved your honest review. Secondly, I totally agree with "diversity being used just to fill out a quota". I have seen this in the Corporate world over the last 20 years and not sure if it will ever change. "Disposable employees" - this causes a lot of fear in the workplace, knowing that you can loose your job for little to no reason. Will definitely check out this book

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 21:06 Wow, you definitely showed me a side that I didn't see. Thank you for your review! I know about this book since I have read it, and I too award the same rating.
I’m glad I was able to provide a little different perspective for a book that’s been reviewed so many times. Thank you for your comment!

trajoe1206 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 23:23 Concealment also gives you an inside view into the corporate and finance world and, let me tell you, it isn’t always a pretty sight. We see, for example, diversity being used just to fill out a quota and give the appearance of tolerance, micromanaging bosses, disposable employees, the quest to appear perfect and invincible for fear of being fired, manipulation through gaslighting and the limits of how far would people go to keep a job and remain successful.

Firstly and most importantly, I loved your honest review. Secondly, I totally agree with "diversity being used just to fill out a quota". I have seen this in the Corporate world over the last 20 years and not sure if it will ever change. "Disposable employees" - this causes a lot of fear in the workplace, knowing that you can loose your job for little to no reason. Will definitely check out this book
Thanks so much for giving your real life perspective on this issues! I think it’s very sad that something that should be encouraged, as tolerance and diversity, become something so shallow in this corporate world.
I don’t think people can thrive when leaving in the constant fear of being disposable and I think you’ll be able to really empathize with the situations presented in this book. I’d love to hear what you think once you read it. Thank you for your comment.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds like a great story idea that could maybe calm down some of the finance "stuff". I read one review where they called this the first of the "Crazy Amy" series I thought that was funny. Thanks for the great review!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I've seen many reviews on this book. It sounds really good. I love the plot. I hope to read it soon. Thank you for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Great review! Seems like this book deals with a lot of things and still manages to be a "fast-paced" thriller. I am pinning this to my TR list.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

Great review. I'm not interested in corporate finance but Amy's journey of investigating her coworker's murder and unveiling more secrets seems interesting. The book seems like it's worth a read. Thank you for your amazing review.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”