Review by Debjani Ghosh -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Re: Review by Debjani Ghosh -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by jcoad »

I finished this book, just haven't completed my review yet. I agree with many of your points. It doesn't take a mental genius to figure out who the murderer is. But I thought the book was fun. I think it was more about the dialogue and humor than the actual murder investigation. The embalming concept was different and I enjoyed the glimpse into the lifestyle of the killer. A book where you turn your brain off and just enjoy. Thanks for the very thorough review!
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 08:22 Already put off? Hold your horses because the action is about to begin. On a fine crappy morning (for Jobz), Detective Miller from the Albany Police Department comes knocking at his office asking for his help in discovering a psychopath serial killer who embalms his victims alive. According to Miller, the killer might be a former mortician, and thus currently unemployed. He is banking on Jobz’s access to the Unemployment Insurance Fraud database as well as his cop skills to resolve this case. Will Miller and Jobz succeed in catching the killer? You will have to read the book to know the answer.

Zandri’s coherent use of language resulted in a succinct portrayal of characters and scenes so that I could visualize the entire plot as it unraveled. I also loved the Mustang pictures at the top of each chapter and at the section breaks. It was a unique way of introducing section breaks.

As pointed out before, knowing the killer early into the book was disappointing for me. Additionally, the camaraderie between Jobz and Miller felt forced and unemotional and did not touch my heart. I felt further alienated by the fact that the book tipped towards brawn rather than the brain. Too little and too simplistic deduction is carried out. The author provided meager forensic data to the readers to do some detective work themselves. It was neatly handed out on a platter to them which diminishes the gravitas of this novel. The crime, and not the criminal, is the diva of this book. The author has failed to impart any sinister aura to the antagonist merely reducing him to a creepy, weird, annoying man. I could find only two errors which do not come in the way of enjoying this novel.
The premise of the book sounded intriguing. However, your final statements make me sad that it doesn't turn out to be a great book. Thank you for a unique and thorough review though.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

BriennaiJ wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 15:41 Thanks for the informative review! I really don't like mystery books that take too long to get to the "good part" of the story and that have little to no suspense. I will be skipping this one.
Thanks for stopping by!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:08 Steve Jobs must be turning in his iGrave! I wonder what prompted Zandri to use the Apple man's name, albeit jazzed up, for his main guy.

I like the vivid imagery of your review. You have a wonderful way with words. "Nursing self-pity with a lot of alcohol" jumped at me! I'll drink to that.
Yes, Steve Jobs will indeed be turning in his iGrave. LOL! Thanks for your kind words Miriam.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

jcoad wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:41 I finished this book, just haven't completed my review yet. I agree with many of your points. It doesn't take a mental genius to figure out who the murderer is. But I thought the book was fun. I think it was more about the dialogue and humor than the actual murder investigation. The embalming concept was different and I enjoyed the glimpse into the lifestyle of the killer. A book where you turn your brain off and just enjoy. Thanks for the very thorough review!
Yes, the embalming concept was really different. I was fascinated by the perspective of the murderer. Yet, for me, the book does score low on the suspense factor. Thanks for commenting!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Kareka88 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:49
Debjani Ghosh wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 08:22 Already put off? Hold your horses because the action is about to begin. On a fine crappy morning (for Jobz), Detective Miller from the Albany Police Department comes knocking at his office asking for his help in discovering a psychopath serial killer who embalms his victims alive. According to Miller, the killer might be a former mortician, and thus currently unemployed. He is banking on Jobz’s access to the Unemployment Insurance Fraud database as well as his cop skills to resolve this case. Will Miller and Jobz succeed in catching the killer? You will have to read the book to know the answer.

Zandri’s coherent use of language resulted in a succinct portrayal of characters and scenes so that I could visualize the entire plot as it unraveled. I also loved the Mustang pictures at the top of each chapter and at the section breaks. It was a unique way of introducing section breaks.

As pointed out before, knowing the killer early into the book was disappointing for me. Additionally, the camaraderie between Jobz and Miller felt forced and unemotional and did not touch my heart. I felt further alienated by the fact that the book tipped towards brawn rather than the brain. Too little and too simplistic deduction is carried out. The author provided meager forensic data to the readers to do some detective work themselves. It was neatly handed out on a platter to them which diminishes the gravitas of this novel. The crime, and not the criminal, is the diva of this book. The author has failed to impart any sinister aura to the antagonist merely reducing him to a creepy, weird, annoying man. I could find only two errors which do not come in the way of enjoying this novel.
The premise of the book sounded intriguing. However, your final statements make me sad that it doesn't turn out to be a great book. Thank you for a unique and thorough review though.
Thanks for stopping by!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the very insightful review!
You are right, discovering the identity of the murderer was all too easy. I guess the author's emphasis was meant to be on the gruesome modus operandi and not the killer himself. However, I believe the 'sinister aura' was there initially, but with later chapters, it sort of vanished. Also, as I have mentioned in my review of the same book, the author could have provided more glimpses into the killer's psychology!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 02:02 Thanks for the very insightful review!
You are right, discovering the identity of the murderer was all too easy. I guess the author's emphasis was meant to be on the gruesome modus operandi and not the killer himself. However, I believe the 'sinister aura' was there initially, but with later chapters, it sort of vanished. Also, as I have mentioned in my review of the same book, the author could have provided more glimpses into the killer's psychology!
Thanks for commenting!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The introduction of your review tickled me. The book sounds interesting though scary. Thanks for the very captivating review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Cotwani wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 14:35 The introduction of your review tickled me. The book sounds interesting though scary. Thanks for the very captivating review!
Thanks for stopping by!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I find it so strange that the author decided to go with the name Steve Jobz. Seems a little uncreative. I suppose calling him Michael Jackzon wouldn't have been much better. Pity about the antagonist falling flat. I would hope that because he was introduced so early in the book, he would have had a better character.
This was such a fun review to read! I really enjoyed it - thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 09:30 I find it so strange that the author decided to go with the name Steve Jobz. Seems a little uncreative. I suppose calling him Michael Jackzon wouldn't have been much better. Pity about the antagonist falling flat. I would hope that because he was introduced so early in the book, he would have had a better character.
This was such a fun review to read! I really enjoyed it - thanks :)
Oh yes, because of his surname, the protagonist had to continually endure derision. Thanks for commenting!
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

This sounds like a good book, but I'm not sure if I will pick this one up. I'm really not a fan of mystery books where you can figure out who the killer is too easily. Thank you for the grat review though.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

What a great style you have with your writing. I especially liked : "In case you fell from your chair unable to fathom why the late co-founder of Apple suddenly became a detective, don’t be baffled. It’s Jobz with a “z”. "
And: "Hold your horses because the action is about to begin"
I feel after reading it that I have a great idea of all aspects of the book! Great job! :tiphat:
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

fernsmom wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 03:29 What a great style you have with your writing. I especially liked : "In case you fell from your chair unable to fathom why the late co-founder of Apple suddenly became a detective, don’t be baffled. It’s Jobz with a “z”. "
And: "Hold your horses because the action is about to begin"
I feel after reading it that I have a great idea of all aspects of the book! Great job! :tiphat:
Thank you for your appreciation and your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”