Review by Bushra Nasim -- Manifesto for a Cancer Patient

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bushra Nasim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bushra-nasim.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Review by Bushra Nasim -- Manifesto for a Cancer Patient

Post by Bushra Nasim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Manifesto for a Cancer Patient" by Colleen Huber, NMD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book manifesto for a cancer patient by Colleen Huber is a work of non-fiction that enlightens the reader about cancer and its possible treatment through naturopathy and also clarifies the general misconception that chemotherapy is the only way to cure cancer.

It consists of a preface, a brief introduction, and two parts. Part one is named as, manifesto for a cancer patient has twelve chapters in which the author has discussed patients' rights, her journey to become a naturopathic physician, struggles of naturopathic physicians to fight the chemo cartel in the US, toxic effects of chemotherapy and a brief comparison of the risks and benefits of naturopathy and chemotherapy.

Part two is titled as, why cancer is beatable that contains ten chapters in which the author has provided a detailed diet plan for cancer patients and has also discussed the anti-cancerous effects of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, and sodium bicarbonate.

One good thing is that the author has included an interview of her in the book, in which she has answered objections of the anti-naturopathy group in detail. Although I am a believer in conventional medicine, the arguments placed by the author regarding the toxic effects of chemotherapy and radiation were quite convincing. After reading this book, I am inclined to learn more about naturopathy, its pros and cons, and that if it really is a more effective treatment for cancer.

I also want to appreciate the author that she talked about pharmaceutical corruption in the US and the influence of chemo cartel in such a bold manner. No doubt that health has also become a business and nowadays, hospitals look for every possible way to grab money from the patients.

The book is professionally edited, and I hardly found just one or two minor mistakes. Otherwise, it is free from grammatical errors and typos.

Another plus point of this book is that the author has explained difficult topics and concepts in a simple way by using much easier words, rather than complex medical terms. I enjoyed reading it because it was not written in a monotonous and dull manner, in which most of the scientific books are written.

Before reading this book and knowing about the treatment of cancer by naturopathy, I read late Paul Kalanithi’s when breath becomes air. It is Paul’s autobiography in which he shares his own encounter with cancer using chemotherapy and radiation as his survival tool but unfortunately, he lost his battle against cancer. His sorrowful journey has stuck in my mind since then, and while reading this book, I wondered that if naturopathy is a less painful treatment as compared to chemotherapy, then why don’t they advertise it effectively, so that more people can learn about it and benefit themselves through it.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its interesting writing style and flawless editing. I would recommend this book to those who themselves, or their loved ones, are suffering from cancer, or anyone who is interested to know about this life-threatening disease and its alternative treatment through naturopathy. I would also advise the skeptics of naturopathy to give this book a read once, and learn about the other side of the picture.

Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bushra Nasim's review? Post a comment saying so!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like how clear you described the book, and that you mentioned reading another book on the subject of cancer. I never heard of anything else than chemotherapy to cure cancer, but I think that when someone you love has cancer, you would try anything to save them. So every new method is welcomed if it promises what every patient needs, hope.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”