Review by Joe Hadithi -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Review by Joe Hadithi -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Joe Hadithi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider follows Trey and Sonya as they try to make sense of their lives. Trey is a scientist and he has invented a device that will make him richer beyond his wildest dreams. But he gets a dream that convinces him that the device will fall into the wrong hands and he smashes it to smithereens. With their hopes of getting rich dashed, his fiancée leaves him.

Sonya is running from a bad relationship herself. Her ex is the evil leader of a biker gang and will do anything to find Sonya, who has left with a sizable chunk of his money.

Fate brings the two together and they have to outrun terrorist organization that wants Trey to rebuild his device for them. The biker gang is still looking for Sonya and the cops join the chase as well. Trey and Sonya discover God, themselves and each other as they fight to deal with their challenges.

One of the things I liked best about Chrome Mountain was the non-stop action. It is the classic good versus bad, only that in this case, it is a nerdy scientist, his muscular girlfriend, and God delivering the action. I found some scenes a bit incredulous but I liked them all the same.

The story flows smoothly and I thought the scenes from the past were covered very well. I found the plot simple and the writing simpler.

However, I found the humor to be a bit forced. I felt like the book was trying too hard to be funny especially when the main characters would try to laugh just after or during a deadly situation. The dialogue in some parts also felt rigid and unrealistic.

I give Chrome Mountain a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. This is because I found it an exciting and entertaining read. It is a good book but not a great one, which is why I couldn’t give it a four-star rating. It is very well written and flows smoothly from the first page to the last and that is why I can’t give it any lower rating.

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is the perfect book for the lover of action-filled text with a dose of religion in it. I would recommend it to teenagers and young adults still looking for direction in their lives. If you don't mind the religious theme and the moral lessons, you are in for a thrilling ride.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Joe Hadithi's review? Post a comment saying so!
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Fate brings the two together and they have to outrun terrorist organization that wants Trey to rebuild his device for them. The biker gang is still looking for Sonya and the cops join the chase as well. Trey and Sonya discover God, themselves and each other as they fight to deal with their challenges.

One of the things I liked best about Chrome Mountain was the non-stop action. It is the classic good versus bad, only that in this case, it is a nerdy scientist, his muscular girlfriend, and God delivering the action. I found some scenes a bit incredulous but I liked them all the same.

.... I felt like the book was trying too hard to be funny especially when the main characters would try to laugh just after or during a deadly situation. The dialogue in some parts also felt rigid and unrealistic.

I give Chrome Mountain a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. This is because I found it an exciting and entertaining read. It is a good book but not a great one, which is why I couldn’t give it a four-star rating. It is very well written and flows smoothly from the first page to the last and that is why I can’t give it any lower rating.

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is the perfect book for the lover of action-filled text with a dose of religion in it. I would recommend it to teenagers and young adults still looking for direction in their lives. If you don't mind the religious theme and the moral lessons, you are in for a thrilling ride.

Interesting, I've never heard of a thriller where the main characters get religion. And I don't particularly want moral preaching, but I might have to peek at this just to see.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Interesting, I've never heard of a thriller where the main characters get religion. And I don't particularly want moral preaching, but I might have to peek at this just to see.
[/quote]

Read it for the action scenes, at least they make up for the moral lessons :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”