Review by be45ne -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
be45ne
Favorite Book: The Surgeon's Wife
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-be45ne.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by be45ne -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by be45ne »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Narrated in three parts, the surgeon's wife by William H Coles is a thirty-seven chapter fictional novel which portrays a bittersweet relationship between two surgeons Mike Boudreaux and Clayton Otherson. Mike was the Chief of Surgery in a renowned hospital in New Orleans, an achievement which could not have been possible without the financial and professional support of a topnotch surgeon like Clayton. Despite being acknowledged as one of the best surgeons worldwide, Clayton made a mistake while performing an obesity surgery, an error that could have killed the patient had it not been for Mike's timely intervention. It turns out that it was not the first obesity surgery that he had performed and found himself in such a helpless state as a physician. As this issue had become a major concern of the surgeons a report was filed to Mike in his capacity as chief of surgery to take necessary actions towards the case.

Having been indebted to Clayton in ways that cannot be repaid, not to mention the friendship they shared, Mike was now caught between friendship and duty. Being an upright man, he thought it wise to talk things through with Clayton first and hopefully get him to step down on his own will while undergoing proper laparoscopic training. Unfortunately, Mike's effort went unrecognized by Clayton and was rather seen as mediocre taking into consideration what he had done for him in the past. This differences in views and standards between the two men were the basis of their crumbling relationship.

I personally liked the first part of the story because it filled me with high expectations for the story. I admire the writer's discrete style of writing which keeps readers anticipating the next course of action. I clearly remember the "it does not make sense" look I had on my face when Catherine, Clayton's wife was first introduced in the story. I kept on wondering what her purpose was. The story takes a new turn in part two when a new character Helen fights against all odds to save her life.

Diving deeper into the second part,William takes the reader into the world of surgeons thus their ethics, disciplines and a hint of their way of life not living a little detail of how a hospital is run in general and surprising readers with romance between Mike and Catherine while Clayton's world comes crashing down with his broken marriage as a trophy. Even though I found it odd that the relationship between Mike and Cathrine developed out of the blue I enjoyed the thrill of it.

Nearing the end of the second part, I came to understand Clayton better and admire Catherine as a woman of strong will who fought for what she believed was right. I just love how William developed his characters into strong pillars that were set for a specific course each fighting their own war climaxing into an unexpected tragic and yet peaceful end.

My only misgivings towards the book were the fact that the writer used abbreviations like "OR, ENT" without defining them at least once. Aside from that, I did not note any grammatical errors hence can say the book was professionally edited. I gladly rate the book 4 out of 4 stars and commend the writer for an excellent piece written. I recommend this amazing book to readers who have an interest in medical stories, pure romance and to all readers who like exploring the various genres of books to try and will not be disappointed.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like be45ne's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”