Review by Cotwani -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Review by Cotwani -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Connie Otwani »

trajoe1206 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 21:15 Great review. I love thrillers. It's a shame about the slow start and the tax mumbo-jumbo - will add this one to my list to read
Hope you get to read it, the story becomes more interesting as it picky up, and the tax talk doesn't throw one off track! Thanks for reading and commenting!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

Sounds like an intriguing psychological thriller . The review paints Amy as a really good character; I would like to see how she develops. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Another smashing review from you! I completely agree with you that Amy had me rooting for her. Her resilient nature is truly admirable, as I have mentioned in my own review. I really liked how she came out as winner after all the struggles she had to go through. However, the initial tax jargon was a dampener! I had to go back and re-read them.
As for the ending, I was also glad that this one had a satisfactory end. But the excerpt from Exposure was, well, literally a cliffhanger!
Thanks again for your great review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Shrabastee wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 03:43 Another smashing review from you! I completely agree with you that Amy had me rooting for her. Her resilient nature is truly admirable, as I have mentioned in my own review. I really liked how she came out as winner after all the struggles she had to go through. However, the initial tax jargon was a dampener! I had to go back and re-read them.
As for the ending, I was also glad that this one had a satisfactory end. But the excerpt from Exposure was, well, literally a cliffhanger!
Thanks again for your great review!
Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Yes, our Amy is something else! I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. Can't wait to read Exposure!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

asere_maryanne wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 03:19 Sounds like an intriguing psychological thriller . The review paints Amy as a really good character; I would like to see how she develops. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Indeed the book is a psychological thriller without graphic gory scenes. Apart from the slow start, it is an exciting read. As for Amy, though she starts off unsure, she develops. Thanks for stopping by and leaving feedback!
-Walt Disney
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

This sounds like a great book. I've seen many reviews on it. Glad you enjoyed it. I hope l get a chance to read it. Awesome review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Wow! This review is so well-written.

It's so good to see that you were able to feel what the characters were feeling while reading the book. That's a surefire sign of a great book!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

A compelling psychological thriller is just what I'm looking for. Great review, I like how you summarised the book and your comments on the book. I hope to enjoy this book as much as you did.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 20:55 This sounds like a great book. I've seen many reviews on it. Glad you enjoyed it. I hope l get a chance to read it. Awesome review!
I hope you get to read the book and enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks so much for your constructive feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 08:37 A compelling psychological thriller is just what I'm looking for. Great review, I like how you summarised the book and your comments on the book. I hope to enjoy this book as much as you did.
Go for it! I also hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for reading, and for the constructive feedback.
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

A protagonist, with questionable sanity, makes it seem like a very interesting read. I have to say that I agree with your reasons of deducting a star in the rating.

Thank you for the great review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Kajori50 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 10:04 A protagonist, with questionable sanity, makes it seem like a very interesting read. I have to say that I agree with your reasons of deducting a star in the rating.

Thank you for the great review.
Oh yeah, it is a unique premise! Thanks for reading and for the constructive feedback.
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I like your writing style! I have learned so much from reading a few of your reviews! :tiphat:

I always have a hard time with how to write a summary of the plot without giving spoilers. But your sentences for example: "Will Amy become the next scapegoat, or will she hold her own? Will her dark secret be her undoing? Who is sabotaging her?" gives an idea of what is going on, but without giving the details that would make it a spoiler.

Off to read another review by you.....
:techie-studyinggray:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

fernsmom wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 09:16 I like your writing style! I have learned so much from reading a few of your reviews! :tiphat:

I always have a hard time with how to write a summary of the plot without giving spoilers. But your sentences for example: "Will Amy become the next scapegoat, or will she hold her own? Will her dark secret be her undoing? Who is sabotaging her?" gives an idea of what is going on, but without giving the details that would make it a spoiler.

Off to read another review by you.....
:techie-studyinggray:
Thanks sooo much fernsmom, I am humbled!

I'm glad you found the review helpful. Actually, I know what you mean. I used to have a problem NOT giving spoilers. If you see my reviews when I was still green, you will know you are way ahead! The editors and other reviewers have brought me a long way!
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Wow what a fantastic review!! You write wonderfully! You really should write a book yourself! I've read a few of your reviews now not only to be informed on the book of course, but also simply to be entertained.
I especially liked these parts of this paragraph that you wrote:
The journey from sorting out her ‘mummy issues,’ via her near romance, to her clever evasion of arrest, had me running, hiding and plotting with Amy. Not only did I get as paranoid as she did, I also came to accept the figment of her imagination! There were times I tried to warn her not to do something but she paid me no mind! We then had to wade together through the murky waters of the consequences of her said actions.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”