Review by fernsmom -- Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by fernsmom -- Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by fernsmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Code Name: Dodger" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The main character, Justin Reed, due to his running away from the orphanage and stealing the school bus with his friend Randy thought he was heading to juvy. After speaking with Dr. Cheney (Bob), a psychiatrist Justin learns that if he agrees to participate in a psychological experiment on environmentally challenged juveniles all charges against him will be dropped. Justin agrees to this deal but he soon learns that there aren't any experiments, he is leaving the orphanage for a reason he couldn't have guessed in a million years.

From there his life makes a dramatic turn, in a strange twist of fate his revenge for his father's murder and Dr. Chenney's real agenda coincide to bring the rest of the book into the world of spies, gangs, drug dealers, and espionage. Justin suggests he should be the bait, and all sorts of twists, suspense, action, and surprises unfold.

Although this book would be enjoyed by the teen audience, it is a book for all ages. The story unfolds quickly, with it hard to put down this book until you finish it! I thoroughly enjoyed this book from the first page until the last. I was hooked by about the 4th page.

The author chooses a setting at the orphanage at the start of the book which is something I don't run across every day. The characters at the orphanage are street wise and although they may not be perfect angels, they are very loyal friends and lovable characters. Although the book wasn't centered on the orphanage for a lengthy time, it was a very important part of the story and I already loved the characters by the time the book changed to other locales.

The way the relationships between Justin and other characters interact you can really feel the emotions and feelings he has for them. Whether it be Randy (friend who ran away with Justin), Bob ("psychiatrist" who really didn't want Justin's help in the experiments), or his dad's friend Carlos, the author really brings these characters to life.

The reason I gave this book 4 stars is because it held my interest in each page, there were multiple twists, and a great ending as well (where other books frequently lack in my opinion). It was well written, and I believe it will be a favorite for all ages.

I look forward to other books from this author!

Code Name: Dodger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like fernsmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

What would they want with a school bus? I like that you get to know the characters really well. The book sounds exciting. Thank you for the review!🐒
:tiphat:
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 13:37 What would they want with a school bus? I like that you get to know the characters really well. The book sounds exciting. Thank you for the review!🐒
Thank you for your comment! It was my favorite on Online Book Club for a while, but although I've chosen a different one now, I still really enjoyed reading it!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Clearly, you enjoyed this book! You have sold it to me. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Cotwani wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 10:14 Clearly, you enjoyed this book! You have sold it to me. Great review!
Such kind words. Thank you for your comment. This was my first review as you could probably tell so that means a lot for you to give me a compliment as I know I made even more mistakes than I do now.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Your review has made me intrigued to try the book for myself. I want to find out more about the twists. The way you justified your rating was great! Thanks for the review.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Shrabastee wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 03:50 Your review has made me intrigued to try the book for myself. I want to find out more about the twists. The way you justified your rating was great! Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your comment! I really enjoyed the book!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

You write a compelling review. And now that I think about it, I haven't seen or heard of an orphanage for years now. I think the system has changed to smaller group homes for kids who aren't fostered to families. But if I read the book, I won't let the potential problem with the setting (is it real or not) get in the way of the story.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Dael Reader wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 10:39 You write a compelling review. And now that I think about it, I haven't seen or heard of an orphanage for years now. I think the system has changed to smaller group homes for kids who aren't fostered to families. But if I read the book, I won't let the potential problem with the setting (is it real or not) get in the way of the story.
Thank you for the comment, and the compliment! I really enjoyed the book.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like an interesting book, especially considering the fact that an orphanage was the setting in the beginning of the book.

Thank you for the great review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I wouldn't want any of my kids to be subjected to any psychological or social experiments at all. It's sad to think that the protagonist is plagued with a situation that left him with no other choice. In an increasingly digitised world where those with unlimited resources and untamed interests could take advantage of those in precarious situations, I do hope we could come up with ways to protect our younger generation and each one of us from the same plight. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Justin and Randy run away from an orphanage and steal a bus. The book sounds interesting in the fact that there is no psychological experiment that Dr. Cheney wants Justin to participate. Lots of twists and mysteries seem to keep the readers' attention in this book.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Your enthusiasm for the book is highly contagious and I love a good story that keeps me turning pages. Thank you!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

This book sounds like a page turner. I'm glad you liked it so much! I love books which engage kids with the world outside and not have them live in a bubble where they aren't affected by their environment and the decisions of other people. Thanks for this review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”