Review by Sushan -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Review by Sushan -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Embalmer" by Vincent Zandri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I had the chance to choose among several books, which came under C/T/M/H genre for reviewing. After reading the basic book descriptions, I got the feeling that, “yeah, this is the book for me”. So, I ended up reading and reviewing, The Embalmer: A Steve Jobz Thriller by Vincent Zandri.

This can be taken as a small to medium-sized book. My copy came with 372 pages, which were divided into 36 chapters. Both first-person view (in many parts of the story where our protagonist, Steve Jobz is involved) and third-person view are used in narration. And whole book is written in the present tense, which I have never come across in my reading experiences. So, that was a totally new thing to me, and I must say that, I really liked it.

Steve Jobz is a former cop, who was forced to retire from active service due to a shot he fired at a black boy, trying to rescue a shop keeper. When we meet him in the story, he is employed in State Campus unemployment insurance fraud investigations agency.

Set of serial killings are going on, which are named as Mortician Murders. A psychopath abducts women, embalm them alive, have sex with them after that and makes the corpse a work of art by transforming it into a doll-like sculpture. And he places those corpses in different places, making sure they look as living, with a unique note attached to them. A private detective, Miller comes to seek for Jobz’s help to track down this murderer, using the database of unemployment insurance fraud investigations agency, because he believes that the murderer is a former mortician. Eventually, Jobz becomes the associate of Miller, and together they hunt the murderer. Will they succeed?

The book actually carries two parallel stories, which runs in same time; the story from the side of Jobz and Miller and from the side of the murderer. It keeps on giving clues who the murderer is, and I actually guessed who he is. I was expecting a surprising twist, and the murderer will be someone who I never thought of. However, I was bit disappointed and the murderer was the one I guessed. No surprise at all in that.

But there are some other noteworthy points as well. Author discusses some practical issues that the police faces when they are doing their duty. He builds up a logical argument, making the reader think twice before blaming a cop for his or her acts. And he very correctly describes the post-mortem, including the dissections and the sequence of the process, which I have seen several times during my forensic studies. And towards the end, the typical detective story is packed with some action.

There is a handful of things which I like to highlight as good things in the book. It uses simple language, which allows for a quick and easy read. Zandri breaks the monotonous flow by putting two parallel stories together, in alternate chapters. Description of people, places and situations is really good, which gave me a vivid picture and a film like experience. And he takes the reader through the investigation process, step by step, giving the reader the impression of solving the puzzle together with Jobz and Miller.

The way that Zandri has used dialogues, has to be praised separately. Most of the story is told via dialogues, which made it more interesting. Many dialogues carried a bit of humour. Medical terms, with which most of the readers are unfamiliar, are explained well via dialogues, without harming the flow of the story.

Proof reading was well done, and I noted only one spelling mistake, using the word “gate”, instead of “gait”.

Even so, I found a bit large error in a dialogue between Miller and Jobz. After Jobz’s boss is being attacked by the psychopathic murderer, the word “died” is used instead of “got attacked”, in a dialogue. This made me pretty confusing, and it turned out as a mistake because, at the end of the story, it is revealed that she is recovered, not dead. But this can be disregarded with all the other good things about the book.

So, with all that, I will heartily give this a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Recommended for those who love thrillers and detective stories. But not for the younger readers because of the sexually explicit content and those who cannot withstand violent acts, better to avoid reading this.

The Embalmer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sushan's review? Post a comment saying so!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for the descriptive review! I too am reviewing this book, and I certainly know I can look forward for a wild ride.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The book seems to be a quite a read. I especially like the way the story runs from two sides that is from Jobz and Miller's side as well as from the murderer's side.

Thank you for the great review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 20:26 Thank you for the descriptive review! I too am reviewing this book, and I certainly know I can look forward for a wild ride.
Thanks for the kind words and I am glad that my review was a help you

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Kajori50 wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 13:14 The book seems to be a quite a read. I especially like the way the story runs from two sides that is from Jobz and Miller's side as well as from the murderer's side.

Thank you for the great review.
Thanks for the reply. I am glad that I highlighted a point that you liked

- Bill Gates -

MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

This looks like such an interesting read! I am glad that I get to hear from the killer's point of view. Those are usually my favorite thriller books anyway. I am definitely going to have to read this book. I just hope the story is still enjoyable even if I can guess who the killer is. Thanks for the review!
Sushan Ekanayake

MalMartin wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 04:43 This looks like such an interesting read! I am glad that I get to hear from the killer's point of view. Those are usually my favorite thriller books anyway. I am definitely going to have to read this book. I just hope the story is still enjoyable even if I can guess who the killer is. Thanks for the review!
Mark my words, it is still interesting after you know who the killer is. Thanks for reading 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”