Review by joycechitwa -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review by joycechitwa -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by joycechitwa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Concealment" by Rose Edmunds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Words cannot express my heartfelt congratulations to author Rose Edmunds for such an engaging and entertaining novel, Concealment. The book is a mystery thriller that reveals the often conflicting facets of Amy Robinson’s private demons on one hand and her public image on the other. The book is part of the Crazy Amy Series, and is the first of two other books. It has 47 chapters, written in British English and narrated in the first person, through the perspective of the protagonist, Amy Robinson. A partner in a leading law firm in London, Amy suddenly finds herself at the center of a brewing whirlwind concerning one of Pearson Malone’s clients whose case she accepts to take up.

The client, JJ Slate (a slate mining company), is brushing up for a major sale-out to giant corporation Megabuilders, when Isabella, a member of Amy’s team, suspects covert fraud. Then, all of a sudden, Isabella goes missing and later on turns up dead. Ryan too, another member of Amy’s team, voices a similar fraud suspicion to Amy, but before much is established, he is arrested as the prime suspect in Isabella’s murder case, committing suicide a few days later. Several disturbing questions crop up. Who killed Isabella? Why? Does it have anything to do with the suspected fraud in JJ Slate’s books of accounts? Is someone trying to cover up something sinister? Amy sets out to uncover the gory details, only to suddenly realize that she’s swimming in much deeper, choppier waters than anyone had anticipated.

That aside, Amy has a private weakness, perpetrated by secrets from her past life, which threatens to destroy all that she has ever worked to build up in terms of her flourishing career. The only friend she opts to confide in ends up betraying her using the very same information. Her boss seems to derive sinister pleasure in inflicting psychological torture on her, which almost does her in. She realizes that she’s all alone in life, with no-one to turn to. Will she overcome her weakness or will it utterly destroy her career?

I absolutely love how author Edmunds progressively whips up the plot to an excruciatingly mind-blowing climax. Just when you think you have an inkling of who committed the murder or figured out the reason, she throws in yet another staggering twist to the story, bound to keep your eyes glued to the pages. She also masterfully intertwines reality with illusion, which just adds a totally astounding dimension to the story. Initially, I pitied protagonist Amy because of this, but then suddenly I was thrilled to discover that, weird as it may seem, what seems to be working against Amy is actually spurring her onward! That was such a “eureka” moment for me.

Besides a sprinkle of curse words here and there, the language in the book is pretty clean and therefore suited for all readers who enjoy a thrilling murder mystery. The technical financial jargon however was, in my view, a tad overboard for the average reader. Having a background in finance I was able to follow much of the nature of the fraud, how brilliantly it was covered up and how it eventually got exposed, but I suspect it would lose readers who are unfamiliar with finance and audit technical terms. Still, this setback does not detract from this deeply engaging read. The only editorial error I found was a missing full stop at the end of chapter 36 – hardly anything to write home about.

I therefore decorate this review with a perfect 4 out of 4 stars.

Concealment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joycechitwa's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

This is a very informative and enjoyable review. It seems like a lot of things take place in this book: Isabella died, and Ryan committed suicide. Since it's a mystery thriller (my favourite genre), I would like to find out more.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

but I suspect it would lose readers who are unfamiliar with finance and audit technical terms.
That's me! Though the book still sounds intriguing! Your review is very appealing.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I really love your review. It keeps me on the edge and causes me to want to read this book immediately. I hope Amy will be able to solve the murder of Isabella and sort out her own personal weaknesses.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I wish I had read your review while I was reading the book. Because this review is making more sense to me than the initial part of the book itself did. I was entirely lost in that tax jargon!
Saying that, I absolutely loved the book. The concept of interspersing illusion with reality was a masterstroke, I believe. It set the tine for the story as well as made it unique. I liked Amy's character an the way she tries to overcome every obstacle, as I have mentioned in my review.
Thanks again for providing us with such a wonderful review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Its always a disappointment when a plot starts with promise then just fizzles out. Too much information coupled with editing errors all crammed within a conversation - sure takes grit to get through. Congratulations!! Great review, as always!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Great review! I read and reviewed this book too, and I agree that the author is a little heavy on the technicalities of the world of finance. However the plot is thrilling and the author succeeds in keeping the reader guessing about whether there is actually a crime or all of it is in Crazy Amy's head!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”