Review by Heather En -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heather En
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-en.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by Heather En -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Heather En »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon is a great read. The way the story unfolds right from the start when the main character Andy is living a fairly normal life as he can manage following an incident with lightning that left him scarred for life with an irreversible ban from electronic devices. The way he embraces this change is commendable rather than feel sorry for himself, he takes on numerous hobbies to feel his time.

He stumbles into an experiment going on at his father's workplace which takes him through a portal into a world of monsters and strange phenomenon in fact he comes to when he is being feasted upon by large angry ants.

The boy's journey will surely keep the reader on their toes as he does his best to survive in this strange land where there are griffons, weird animals, strange people plus his troubles never seem to come to an end.

I loved the story and lost myself in Andy's world the author so deftly weaves his talent leaving no stone unturned molding new realms. He is very descriptive and paints vivid images in the mind's eye. I could actually see Andy fighting the bad guys from Groc to the wolves that met their demise at his hands, to the way he treated his cocky captors, the list is unending. Then there is the large dragon that would cower from Jaga, an elf he could easily smash beneath it's paw, their story is really interesting. Despite everything, his morals however blurry still appeal to him, his insistence to cling onto his identity refusing to lose the 'I' he is regardless of the circumstances even in the hands of the bad guys.

Though at some place it felt like too many details were being thrown in and I nearly lost the train of thought for instance when Andy was attacked when he was running towards the fire, one second I knew he was running then he had retreated into a fighting stance so I almost missed the fight.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. And a great read for all lovers of fiction and adventure. It can most definitely be read by all ages. Alex will leave you awed with his unique tale and searching for the next book in the sequel hardly after reading the last page.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Heather En's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”