Review by BookReader+6 -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review by BookReader+6 -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

Post by HollandBlue »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami, centers around Angela Renatus, an art historian, who is being plagued by unexpected visions of past-lives. In one of her past-lives, Angela sees herself as Fioretta Gorini, a favorite model and friend of Leonardo da Vinci. Fioretta's supposed wedding portrait has been missing for centuries and Angela is hired by an art detective, Alex Caine, to help him find it. They work for a wealthy patron who has a personal connection to the missing artwork. As Angela and Alex search for the painting, they find themselves becoming increasingly attracted to each other, and more and more influenced by 'fate'. They aren't the only ones looking for the portrait of Fioretta and her betrothed, Giuliano Medici. A devious museum director is hoping to discover the painting for himself to satisfy his own greedy reasons for wanting it. The portrait is thought to have been taken by star-crossed lovers during WWII; they also have cosmic connections with the couple in the picture, as well as Angela and Alex.

Even though the storyline seems like it might be hard to follow, it actually flows quite smoothly throughout the book. The transitions between the present and the past are well-defined. Point of view is transferred between the characters with ease.

Most of the book is dedicated to romance and past-life visions. Mystery revolves around when Angela and Alex will officially become a couple, and also the location of the missing portrait.

There is some repetition in the book pertaining to destiny and reincarnation, but the themes of romance and mystery keep this story interesting. There is both humor and tragedy depicted in this novel.

Immortality is a strong focus of the book. The "lessons to be learned" from the past, and their influences on present events, are exhibited. The story shows that the past influences affecting current actions can be changed.

Belle Ami convincingly mingles historical facts with fiction, and her vivid imagination takes us from one scene to another effortlessly. There are some minor grammatical and quotation mark errors that don't detract much from the story. I would rank this book a 3 out of 4 stars, taking a point off for the editing mistakes, but not for the storylines, past and present.

I would strongly recommend this book to avid readers of romance and historical fiction. I wouldn't really recommend it to those looking mainly for a suspenseful novel; although the pace does pick up once the setting changes from California to Italy. Like Alex thinks to himself, "They were fish in a fishbowl and there was a shark circling the bowl". The romantic scenes are quite detailed, so I would suggest it for more mature audiences. Those interested in Renaissance Art and Leonardo da Vinci would also enjoy the premise of this story, as would those interested in the paranormal.

I would be amiss if I didn't mention the cover artwork. It is very appropriate to the theme of Renaissance painting. The beautiful girl depicted in the picture has the classical features that represent that era.

The characters in the book are well-developed and thoroughly described. The protagonists are very likable, and the intensity of their emotions is almost palpable. The antagonist is completely despicable. The ending doesn't leave any loose ends. All in all, an interesting romance and mystery that I really enjoyed reading.

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookReader+6's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I have always debated back and forth about reading this book. I am interested but I'm not a big fan of some of the plot ideas. I do enjoy romance occasionally, but historical romance very rarely. I enjoyed your review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

AmySmiles wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 13:48 I have always debated back and forth about reading this book. I am interested but I'm not a big fan of some of the plot ideas. I do enjoy romance occasionally, but historical romance very rarely. I enjoyed your review!
There is a lot of romance in the plot, both in the present and the past scenes. A lot of the action and romance takes place in the present, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're not interested in past life regression. Thanks for reading my review.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
carlyroseh
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlyroseh.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by carlyroseh »

Great review! I also thought that the transitions between past and present and the transitions between points of view were practically seamless. I rated it 3/4 stars due to the punctuation errors, same as you. It was a very enjoyable book to read!
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I loved this mix of story and romance throughout the book! I enjoyed reading it too.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I enjoyed this book, although I had some issues with how much romance there was in a supposed 'thriller'. I agree with you, it is not really suspenseful.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

carlyroseh wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 12:00 Great review! I also thought that the transitions between past and present and the transitions between points of view were practically seamless. I rated it 3/4 stars due to the punctuation errors, same as you. It was a very enjoyable book to read!
Thanks for reading my review. It's something how we agree on so many of the points made in the book.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

StarkidStarling wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 12:14 I loved this mix of story and romance throughout the book! I enjoyed reading it too.
Glad you enjoyed the book, it's quite a good read!
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

FictionLover wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 07:24 I enjoyed this book, although I had some issues with how much romance there was in a supposed 'thriller'. I agree with you, it is not really suspenseful.
I agree it's more a romance than a 'thriller'. The suspense was mediocre.
(1466-1536)
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

BookReader+6 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 08:05
FictionLover wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 07:24 I enjoyed this book, although I had some issues with how much romance there was in a supposed 'thriller'. I agree with you, it is not really suspenseful.
I agree it's more a romance than a 'thriller'. The suspense was mediocre.
I also really like your tagline. I had a bookmark with that quote on it years ago. I kept it for quite a long time, but I haven't seen it for years.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. History, romance, suspense and past lives. It sounds a potent mix.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Cassandra Keeney
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Sociopath
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassandra-keeney.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Cassandra Keeney »

I have been back and forth debating if I want to read this, but ultimately decided not to. However, your review makes me think that it might be worth reading. I like that the story still makes sense even with the time jumps, and I enjoy historical fiction quite a bit. Thanks for the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.”
-W Somerset Maugham
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 11:47 Great review. History, romance, suspense and past lives. It sounds a potent mix.
You summed it up well. Thanks!
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Cassandra Keeney wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 19:27 I have been back and forth debating if I want to read this, but ultimately decided not to. However, your review makes me think that it might be worth reading. I like that the story still makes sense even with the time jumps, and I enjoy historical fiction quite a bit. Thanks for the review!
Cassandra Keeney wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 19:27
Thanks for commenting!
(1466-1536)
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I agree 100% with your review. I liked the flashbacks better than the present day story. Like you said, the book is more romance than thriller as the present day story is pretty basic. There were quite a few times when I wished they would have stopped "hooking up" and just found the painting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”