Review by Callistus Ibenye -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Callistus Ibenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callistus-ibenye.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Review by Callistus Ibenye -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by Callistus Ibenye »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the dragon by Alex Sapegin is the first instalment of The Dragon Inside series. This novel is about the experiences of a young boy called Andy. Andy lives with his family in Russia. This interesting narrative has enough elements of suspense, fantasy and science fiction to keep you invested.

Andy, the main character of this novel, is a victim of circumstances beyond his control. First, he was struck by lightning the day his teacher took their class out on a field trip into the woods. Ever since that experience, Andy's presence makes electronic devices, such as computers and television sets experience disruptions whenever he gets near them. Second, on a fateful day, while Andy was on the process of delivering some important papers to his father, who is a scientist, dabbles into a test area and was teleported into the medieval world of Illanta. Illanta is a world where magic works. It has various types of fantasy creatures, such as Orcs and Elves. At Illanta, Andy was sent into slavery because the inhabitants of Illanta recognised him as a mage. His problem increases when he tries to escape from captivity and take revenge for the ill-treatment he received. But, Andy got killed just when he was on the verge of freedom. He died and resurrected as a dragon.

Becoming the Dragon is a captivating narrative. It has a clever plot and diverse characters with distinct personalities. The fantasy creatures that were featured in this story all seem real and congruent: they laugh, they sulk and get angry in response to situations and events. I enjoyed the science fiction, mystical world and fantasy aspects of this novel. The main characters are rounded and developed. Their conversions and motivations are believable and give the reader good reasons to stay invested in the story. This book compares well with similar books. I found no grammatical, spelling or punctuation mistakes in this book. 

This narrative has elements that have nothing to do with it. For example, some characters were forgotten after their introduction without making a meaningful impact on the story. This narrative also has pacing issues. The story moved slowly at the beginning and does not have enough information on some of its notable events. I hope the author improves on this first instalment by fixing the issues that have been observed.

I rate Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin, 3 Out of 4 stars. This series has great potential. The story is captivating and well organised. I would recommend this book to adult and young- adult readers who enjoy science fiction novels.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Callistus Ibenye's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

No doubt it's a very captivating story. However the issue of many neglected characters is the right one. The author should keep the number of characters as much as he can.Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It's so sad when the main protagonist dies, but at least he turned into something else. Informative and intriguing review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Becoming the Dragon is a captivating narrative. It has a clever plot and diverse characters with distinct personalities. The fantasy creatures that were featured in this story all seem real and congruent: they laugh, they sulk and get angry in response to situations and events. I enjoyed the science fiction, mystical world and fantasy aspects of this novel. The main characters are rounded and developed. Their conversions and motivations are believable and give the reader good reasons to stay invested in the story. This book compares well with similar books. I found no grammatical, spelling or punctuation mistakes in this book. 
These are very important assets, in my opinion. Sometimes in fantasy character development is overlooked in favor of action and adventure and the fact that even the fantasy creatures are congruent is great.
Thank you for an honest review!
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

The title of the book is very unique that made me read the book. The review gives a good insight about the book. The pros and cons of the book are clearly explained . Thanks for the review.
---
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's good when book characters are realistic and relatable. Thank you for your succinct review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I really like fantasy books so I'm curious about this one. This seems like an interesting sort of fish-out-of-water plot that might be fun for younger readers?

Thanks for the review.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Realistic characters in a fantasy novel is always a treat to read.

Thank you for the great review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The story sounds fantastic! A pity about the character and pace inconsistencies. I hope the author will improve on these. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”