Review by Yerenzhu -- My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Yerenzhu
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Yerenzhu -- My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by Yerenzhu » 01 Sep 2018, 14:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Author is Dead by Michel Bruneau is a wacky and zany dystopian story about a boy named Adam Kilroy and how a decision that he made had turned his world upside down followed by a series of struggles and unfortunate events.

In My Author is Dead, the story soon shows us from the beginning that our protagonist, Adam, is in trouble because of his soon-to-be wife, Cassandra, told the elders of their village what she saw him do. Which we learn that he talked to a girl, named June who is from a different belief system which according to Adam's belief is an illegal act according to the belief system that Adam belongs to. In My Author is Dead, we learn that there are various tribes, or beliefs, each believing that what they believe is right and all the others are wrong. The belief conflict effects Adam and his livelihood and his family life.

Adam Kilroy, like most teenagers, struggle with a lot such as hardships of life, love interests, and fears. How to control and manage all of these one must learn, unfortunately for Adam, it is the hard way. Fortunately, for Adam, he has a mentor to teach him how to live life in this lifestyle. His grandfather helps him throughout his trials in the book and teaches him right from wrong. Without his grandfather’s help, who knows what could have happened to him.

My Author is Dead deals with religious undertones that one can point out right away. This book also shows readers that there are ideas such as pride, superiority, and egotism throughout the novel which are portrayed very well. I like that Michel Bruneau did not have to go into detail of how the tribes despise one another, but I wish that he would describe how the beliefs originated or even how they function living in hatred amongst the other tribes more in-depth. I also had wished that the people of My Author is Dead were detailed. There were very little details about them and I wanted to know what they looked like as well as their backstory.

I give My Author is Dead 3 out of 4 stars. You could tell that this book had some sort of inspiration from Vonnegut due to the way that Michel Bruneau has written the book. I am a fan of Vonnegut and I appreciated that he was able to capture that magic and use it into his own original works. After I read My Author is Dead, I didn’t like the ending. I didn’t care how Michel Bruneau ended it but thinking back on it I actually thought it was a good idea. I won’t spoil the ending, but the book made me think after I read it and that is what you want for a good book. To have your readers continue thinking about it after they had put it down.

My Author Is Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Yerenzhu's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”