Review by Kajori50 -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review by Kajori50 -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Zarqnon the Embarrassed and illustrated by Frank Louis Allen, Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe is one of it’s kind. It is fascinating to note that both the author and the clinically blind illustrator belong to the autistic spectrum. So this book gives us a mystifying look at the world through their eyes. It was indeed a treat to read the undeniably educational and witty story of Theodil.

The story revolves around Theodil, who sets out to create the universe with dot-like zots and noodle-like xoodles. He uses these to create gravity, light, time, and matter. In a “room before rooms, within a space before space, at a time before time”, he presents his findings in front of a disbelieving committee. The book underlines the philosophical need for multiple time frames, empirical and dark matter as well as constants in light and gravity. It also put forwards the concept of a dual big bang as the origin of the universe.

One of the first things that drew my attention towards this book was the name of the author. J. W. McLaughlin assumes the very unusual pen-name Zarqron the Embarrassed just because it amuses him. This is our very first clue about the author’s penchant for breaking conventions. He himself asserts that he likes “things that are unique and that break the typical". This is very much evident in his writing. He shuns the conventional form of prose. Through the use of alliteration, rhyme, personification and myriad other literary devices, the author succeed in creating a lyrical language that teleports the reader to a time before time and a place before place. The author brilliantly injects new meanings to or sayings by cleverly changing the spellings. Here, it is worth mentioning that I found an uncanny resemblance with the writing style of Dr Suess. In fact, the name Theodil is also somewhat similar to Dr Suess’ first name Theodor.

However, the very flowery prose employed by the author becomes a major drawback as well. The reader can easily lose track of the story if he does not employ his full concentration while reading. Sometimes, the long-winding sentences can make it difficult to understand the meaning at one go. Also, the excessive use of jargons and complicated scientific terms can make it somewhat difficult for people with no scientific background to understand. This is why I absolutely loved the illustrations used in the book. They not only complement the prose perfectly but also add more meaning to it and makes the abstract ideas more concrete.

This short read gave me a lot of information to ponder on. It was an innovative approach to present a solution to the oldest question nagging mankind, that is, how was the universe created. The author masterfully juxtaposes the detailed descriptions of Theodil's experiments with the skeptic comments of the committee. This not only makes the book more interesting but also presents the complicated business of creating the universe in a simplified manner. I absolutely loved the abrupt whip-cracking ending. It was perfect for this short yet unique science fiction.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I would like to rate Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe, a whooping 3 out of 4 stars. I could detect little to no errors in the entire book and found it to be well edited and proofread. I believe this would make a perfect bed-time story for teenagers with a scientific bent of mind. This would help create a sound scientific foundation. However, little kids may find the book difficult to understand because of the complicated narrative style. I recommend this book to everyone who are science enthusiasts by nature or hold an innate curiosity about the creation of the universe.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Wow! This book sounds absolutely fascinating. Asperger's Author and blind illustrator. I definitely want to read this. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Helen_Combe wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 02:39 Wow! This book sounds absolutely fascinating. Asperger's Author and blind illustrator. I definitely want to read this. Great review.
Thank you so much Helen. :D
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This does sound like a really interesting book. It is amazing that the illustrator is clinically blind!

Good job with the review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 11:18 This does sound like a really interesting book. It is amazing that the illustrator is clinically blind!

Good job with the review.
Thank you so much, CommMayo. :D
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I also enjoyed the ending - I thought it was apt and complemented the story perfectly.
I enjoyed your review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This book definitely sounds really intriguing, although the flowery prose is a personal turn-off. Thank you for the detailed review! (:
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:29 I also enjoyed the ending - I thought it was apt and complemented the story perfectly.
I enjoyed your review, thanks!
Welcome and thank you for your valuable feedback. :D
Kajori Sheryl Paul

gen_g wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 21:55 This book definitely sounds really intriguing, although the flowery prose is a personal turn-off. Thank you for the detailed review! (:
Welcome and thank you for stopping by. :)
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This book really will be worth a read. I love books that surprises me.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kajori Sheryl Paul

topdan30 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 18:59 This book really will be worth a read. I love books that surprises me.
I am glad that you found the book to be read-worthy. It will definitely surprise you.Thank you for stopping by. :D
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

My mind was blown with just your review. I'm afraid what would happen if I read the book. I'm not sure if I'm intrigued or want to run from this book. I need a little more time to decide if I want to read this "book before books". Thank you for your very thorough review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

jcoad wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 21:25 My mind was blown with just your review. I'm afraid what would happen if I read the book. I'm not sure if I'm intrigued or want to run from this book. I need a little more time to decide if I want to read this "book before books". Thank you for your very thorough review!
Thank you so much. Your comment means a lot. I felt the same as you when I first came across this book. I hope that you enjoy the book if you decide to give it a try. :D
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book offers very deep thoughts. I read and reviewed this book. And enjoyed the philosophy though it takes several jerks. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Sarah Tariq wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 03:06 The book offers very deep thoughts. I read and reviewed this book. And enjoyed the philosophy though it takes several jerks. Thanks for this great review.
I completely agree with you. Thank you for stopping by. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”