Review by Kajori50 -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Re: Review by Kajori50 -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Sweet Psamy »

It's amazing that the author and the clinically blind illustrator, belong to the autistic spectrum. Good read.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

That's amazing that the illustrator is blind. The name under the author is funny .I'm still debating rather to read it, but great review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

What a great review! Especially because I could not finish reading the book. I started it because I was really curious about the title of the book as well as the name chosen by the author. I love that you give the background for these names in your review. Also, am curious if you read a Kindle edition of the book because I found the formatting, the font size, and the illustrations really difficult to decipher in my Kindle edition.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Manali_DC wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 11:31 What a great review! Especially because I could not finish reading the book. I started it because I was really curious about the title of the book as well as the name chosen by the author. I love that you give the background for these names in your review. Also, am curious if you read a Kindle edition of the book because I found the formatting, the font size, and the illustrations really difficult to decipher in my Kindle edition.
Thank you so much. :D
Yes, I read a Kindle edition and everything was fine with the formatting in my copy.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

LaurenHaupt wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 10:04 That's amazing that the illustrator is blind. The name under the author is funny .I'm still debating rather to read it, but great review.
It truly is amazing that the illustrator is clinically blind. I found the name of the author to be funny too. It is a very unique book. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a try.
Thank you so much for your feedback. :D
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Sweet Psamy wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 06:27 It's amazing that the author and the clinically blind illustrator, belong to the autistic spectrum. Good read.
It is truly amazing. Thank you for your feedback. :D
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Kajori50 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 14:14 [Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Zarqnon the Embarrassed and illustrated by Frank Louis Allen, Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe is one of it’s kind. It is fascinating to note that both the author and the clinically blind illustrator belong to the autistic spectrum. So this book gives us a mystifying look at the world through their eyes. It was indeed a treat to read the undeniably educational and witty story of Theodil.

However, the very flowery prose employed by the author becomes a major drawback as well. The reader can easily lose track of the story if he does not employ his full concentration while reading. Sometimes, the long-winding sentences can make it difficult to understand the meaning at one go. Also, the excessive use of jargons and complicated scientific terms can make it somewhat difficult for people with no scientific background to understand. This is why I absolutely loved the illustrations used in the book. They not only complement the prose perfectly but also add more meaning to it and makes the abstract ideas more concrete.
The fact that the author and illustrator belong to the autistic spectrum intrigues me. I love that these people are following their passion and using their abilities to the fullest. The flowery prose is a major drawback for me as well, but I think I will still put it on my to read list to try it out.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kareka88 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 13:19
Kajori50 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 14:14 [Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Zarqnon the Embarrassed and illustrated by Frank Louis Allen, Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe is one of it’s kind. It is fascinating to note that both the author and the clinically blind illustrator belong to the autistic spectrum. So this book gives us a mystifying look at the world through their eyes. It was indeed a treat to read the undeniably educational and witty story of Theodil.

However, the very flowery prose employed by the author becomes a major drawback as well. The reader can easily lose track of the story if he does not employ his full concentration while reading. Sometimes, the long-winding sentences can make it difficult to understand the meaning at one go. Also, the excessive use of jargons and complicated scientific terms can make it somewhat difficult for people with no scientific background to understand. This is why I absolutely loved the illustrations used in the book. They not only complement the prose perfectly but also add more meaning to it and makes the abstract ideas more concrete.
The fact that the author and illustrator belong to the autistic spectrum intrigues me. I love that these people are following their passion and using their abilities to the fullest. The flowery prose is a major drawback for me as well, but I think I will still put it on my to read list to try it out.
The author and the illustrator are both truly amazing people. According to me the flowery prose can both be an advantage and a drawback at times. Hope you enjoy the book when you give it a try.

Thank you for your feedback. :D
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

It's amazing that the author is blind and that they're both autistic. Sounds like a neat book. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul

LaurenHaupt wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 21:38 It's amazing that the author is blind and that they're both autistic. Sounds like a neat book. Great review!
Thank you so much. :D
It is a very unique book.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds complicated. It's however interesting that the author and the clinically blind illustrator belong to the autistic spectrum. You deserve a pat for braving the book, enjoying it and reviewing it!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 13:39 The book sounds complicated. It's however interesting that the author and the clinically blind illustrator belong to the autistic spectrum. You deserve a pat for braving the book, enjoying it and reviewing it!
Yes it is a complicated read, but it gets interesting once you get in the flow. Thank you so much. It means a lot. :D
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems to be different than the run-of-the-mill science fiction books. Although it provides a unique take on the question - how the universe was created, studying the book with rapt attention throughout seems to be taxing. Thanks for the insightful review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 08:11 This seems to be different than the run-of-the-mill science fiction books. Although it provides a unique take on the question - how the universe was created, studying the book with rapt attention throughout seems to be taxing. Thanks for the insightful review.
Welcome. :) It is definitely different that the run-of-the-mill science fiction book. Also, I agree with you that it can be taxing on one's concentration.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

With a predisposition towards "flowery prose" and other forms of figurative language learned from yesteryears similar to the author's, I wouldn't find fault in this piece I should say. Thank you for your frank review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”