Review by liftedbooks -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Review by liftedbooks -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by liftedbooks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ripcord Recovery" by T.T. Sawyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer recounts the life of an alcoholic and his unconventional means of recovery. Afters 22 years of sobriety, the author relapsed. Thus began a journey of research for a long-term solution for his addiction. This book does not only present a detailed overview of his answer, but also an in-depth look at the life of an addict in remission.

When I started reading this book, I had one question that I hoped the writer would answer: what were the repercussions of his addiction? T.T. Sawyer (pseudonym) answered this question thoroughly. Thankfully, it is not all negative. One of my favorite parts of this book is when the author went skydiving. His explanation of his experience is this: ‘What a rush! It was better than mainlining heroin or snorting coke. I felt the clouds sting my face. I felt gravity change direction. Gravity wasn’t down anymore. It was in front of me!’

I admire Sawyer for being so open about what he has lost as a result of substance abuse. His fluid writing kept me engrossed page after page as he presented the events and circumstances that reshaped his life. The light-hearted doodles with funny expressions, adds a bit of humor.

Although the author has clearly led a difficult life, his story is nothing less than inspiring. Furthermore, his attitude is not one of 'please feel sorry for me'; it is one of ‘I can do this no matter how hard it gets’. He seems to embrace his addiction whilst working on recovering.

As mentioned, T.T. Sawyer has an unconventional method to 'calm his continual cravings and urges'. He admits that it is 'not FDA approved, medically sanctioned or even legal in all states'. I believe readers should read the book for themselves to know more about this 'solution'. The writer meticulously details his experience and research. It is not something I believe in, but I cannot deny anyone the opportunity to decide for themselves. It should also be noted that the author does not solely rely on this method.

Based solely on his writing capabilities, although the funny doodles included are also entertaining, I give T.T. Sawyer's Ripcord Recovery a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who has ever been affected by substance abuse. You might not want to take the author’s idea to recover, but one can learn a lot from his story. In the words of the author: 'Hopefully, the story of my solution will inspire you to find your own path.'

Ripcord Recovery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like liftedbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

I definitely agree with you in that everyone should be able to make their own decision whether this unconventional alternative is for them or not. Had he not written about his experience, I don't think people would have even considered this as a possible step for their recovery. However, all other steps to sobriety should definitely be done.

Great review :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”