Review by Mr Adonis -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mr Adonis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-adonis.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Review by Mr Adonis -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by Mr Adonis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Cole

The Surgeon's Wife is a novel centered around a bariatic surgeon named Clayton, his socially prominent wife Catherine and a trauma surgeon Michael. The book gives us a coup d'oeil into the lives of surgeons, bariatic surgery and the aftermath for all involved when a treatment goes wrong. It is a love story, family saga and medical play all rolled into one. It is a story full of suspense with situations you won't see coming.

A prominent surgeon Clayton Otherson who practices bariatric surgery is seemingly losing his touch while simultaneously publicizing heavily to increase his caseload. This creates quite the problem for Michael Boudreaux who happens to be chief of surgery. The actions of Clayton forces Michael to interfere and save a patients life from Claytons incapable hands. Mike then tries to handle complaints from co-workers about Dr. Clayton while balancing the delicate relationship he has with him as his former mentor, mike's relationship with Clayton is further challenged when Catherine begins an affair with Mike. Now Catherine is a pretty woman who easily draws attention to herself and is deemed by society as elegant and admirable but she feels unfulfilled. Her daughter is rebellious and her husband does not have time for her. Catherine falls in love with Mike and decides to live with him, a decision that changes not only her life, Clayton's and mellisa's but her parent's as well.

This was quite a short read as I completed it in about two hours. I would have preferred more interaction with some characters, for example mike's mother was introduced towards the end of the story as a New Orleans medium who raised him alone. I feel like she was added as an afterthought when she would have been a great add-on to the story.

Though this book is not all action, it does show violence and upheaval. The ideas are dark and confusing as is much of humanity. However, the author had a way of treating this darkness in such a way that it did not leave anybody feeling depressed.

I like this book because its plot is deep with developed characters. I also love how medicine was entwined with the rest of the story. The fact that the author made the story relatable to reality was most pleasing to me.

There are little or no mistakes in the write up,I discovered only two typographical errors so I'd say this novel was professionally edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to everyone,no matter your preferred genre or choice of books. It's a book that will keep you captivated till the very end.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Mr Adonis's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”