Review by jcoad -- The Traveler's Best Seller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Review by jcoad -- The Traveler's Best Seller

Post by jcoad »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Traveler's Best Seller" by Rick Incorvia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Traveler’s Best Seller is a fiction novel by Rick Incorvia. Tim Peregrine is a divorced, middle-aged, history teacher. He has just been told he has months to live. Tim decides he wants to “live like he is dying”. Tim decodes a cryptic on-line advertisement for simulated time travel. He decides to spend what little money he has on interacting with the characters he has been teaching.

Tim spends time talking with George Washington at Mount Vernon. He crosses the Delaware River and engages in hand to hand combat with a Hessian soldier. Cleopatra keeps him by her side as a bodyguard. He takes her to Rome to seek help from Caesar. He also travels with Mozart and his family across Europe. After each trip, Tim prepares an amazing demonstration of his adventure for his students that become the talk of the school.

There is another thought-provoking trip. There is a great twist. The time travel company may not be what they appear to be. I can’t tell you about any of that without ruining the beauty of this book. The time travel is woven perfectly into the real story and you don’t even notice.

The one area of weakness in the book is the time travel stories. They are relatively simple and read like history book stories. The Mozart and Cleopatra portions were very short snippets that did not translate well on their own. I did appreciate how the simulation logic was built into the time travel. Tim would change character or perspective to more fully appreciate the experience. I would not consider this a historical fiction novel.

This book surprised and delighted me. I didn’t see the twist at the end coming, and it was a great twist. I enjoyed how Tim decided to take his teaching to the extreme. My favorite example is when he blacked out the classroom and played Mozart through stereo speakers. The way the students and staff responded to the sessions was inspirational. The structure and concepts in the other trip Tim took really made me think.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story worked in all dimensions. The book allows you to learn a little history and enjoy a great story. This is one of the few books I would hand to my teenage son and my mother-in-law. I recommend this book to lovers of a good story. The Traveler’s Best Seller will make you think, surprise you, and leave you feeling good.

The Traveler's Best Seller
View: on Bookshelves

Like jcoad's review? Post a comment saying so!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

You accomplished a very fine review, here :) The plot sounds interesting with stories inside stories, and I'm always a fan of a good twist. Too bad that the time travel adventures were not as polished as they could have been, but even so the book sounds great. Cheers
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I was wondering if I should read this book. I love "time travel" themed books and movies.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 17:13 I was wondering if I should read this book. I love "time travel" themed books and movies.
You should definitely give this book a try. The time travel pieces are interesting but not amazing. The best part is the story "around" the time travel. I was enjoying it before it really surprised me and got even better. Thank you for the comment!
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

SABRADLEY wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 13:58 You accomplished a very fine review, here :) The plot sounds interesting with stories inside stories, and I'm always a fan of a good twist. Too bad that the time travel adventures were not as polished as they could have been, but even so the book sounds great. Cheers
Thank you for your comment. I would recommend you give this book a try. I guarantee it will leave you feeling good!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read even with its weakness in the time traveling stories. I love when there is a twist at the end and you don't see it coming. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

jcoad wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 21:30
Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 17:13 I was wondering if I should read this book. I love "time travel" themed books and movies.
You should definitely give this book a try. The time travel pieces are interesting but not amazing. The best part is the story "around" the time travel. I was enjoying it before it really surprised me and got even better. Thank you for the comment!
Sounds interesting :techie-studyingbrown: ! I'll give it a try for sure!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book i will love to read. Love books with enough twist. Thanks for the detailed review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

topdan30 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 09:14 This is a book i will love to read. Love books with enough twist. Thanks for the detailed review.
I appreciate the comment and definitely read this book. Just sit back and enjoy as you will keep the pages turning!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This book sounds so interesting. I love how teaching is woven in with this and I can't imagine the feeling of meeting all these historical figures. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

JR Mercier wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 00:52 This book sounds so interesting. I love how teaching is woven in with this and I can't imagine the feeling of meeting all these historical figures. Loved your review.
Thank you for your comment. I started this book thinking it was just historical fiction and when I finished I realized those stories were just the facilitators for the real story going on. Made for a very cool read by the time you were finished.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Seen a few positive reviews on this book. I'm still not over the fence about reading it just yet. The plot seems great but I'm not just a fan of historical fiction.
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

prospero360 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 08:35 Seen a few positive reviews on this book. I'm still not over the fence about reading it just yet. The plot seems great but I'm not just a fan of historical fiction.
The book is may 20% historical fiction at the most, the rest is the "real story". The longest part is about George Washington and the Mozart and Cleopatra parts are just snippets. In reality, you could skip these parts completely and just enjoy the rest of the book. They aren't critical to the real story.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I just love the way you structure your reviews. You seem to have really enjoyed the book, I hope I do too.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Sounds like a riveting book! Thanks for such a thorough review without giving away any spoilers.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”