Review by Italiansweety1982 -- Pastoring is not what you...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by Italiansweety1982 -- Pastoring is not what you...

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This review is on the book Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji. I would recommend this book for young adults and up. I was interested in reading this as a baptised Christian to see another point of view. Those that have no interest in religion would probably not take an interest in this book. This book is not a children’s book.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I thought this book would be more of a first person story of someone reflecting on their own experiences based on the title. It is actually in the third person following a few days in the life of Pastor Job. The book contains bible verses and preaching. Sometimes it felt like a bible study. It did have interactions between the characters and told of issues that the pastor was experiencing. It did not have character development or build the story. It just picked up during one day of the pastor’s life and described the thoughts going thru his head and in the few days the story was about, explained the hardships the pastors endure such as the heavy load on their minds, and situations they may be called upon to assist with such as marital troubles and sick children.

The book is up to date with current issues, touching upon politics, immigration, money, etc. I did find myself surprised that Congress was compared to Satan. The religious figures I have personally met did not touch upon such topics often.

Some of the dialog in the book is repetitive as well as the situations regarding rent money and car buying. Every other sentence seemed to mention God is good or some type of prayer. While that is expected from this type of book, it didn’t allow for and story development.

I didn’t find there to be a beginning or end to the story where there was a climax and resolution. I believe the point was just to show typical experiences that Pastor Job goes thru. Overall it was a bit difficult to get thru the preaching pages because it slowed down the read. For those with faith and curiosity about life behind the scenes for the heads of the church this book will provide insight and perhaps more understanding of their experiences. For those looking for an action packed fast paced read, this is not the story for you. My own opinion is that it was written by a person of great faith because every issue was resolved in one way or another so they could praise God and say it was his doing.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like Italiansweety1982's review? Post a comment saying so!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I've read some reviews on this book before. It's kind of a shame. The title sounds like the book could have a lot more potential than it did. Thank you for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”