Review by Leah1991 -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leah1991
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah1991.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by Leah1991 -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by Leah1991 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the very first sentence of The Watchmaker’s Doctor I was hooked. The opening paragraph paints a vivid picture with images such as “the crunch of red oak leaves under her [Anaya’s] leather boots.” The rest of the novella follows suit with rich imagery to guide the reader through the Anaya’s journey to change her past. Anaya, a psychologist, is given the chance by one of her patients to go back in time and change her deepest regret, which is dropping out of school at seventeen. In the process of trying to rewrite her past she attempts to save her family and closest friends from their fate, but not without indulging in a little romance along the way.

Anaya has had her fair share of struggles, the likes of which anyone would want to go back and change. Having suffered through an abusive relationship, she is cynical when she meets her father’s handsome farmhand who goes by the name of Matt. There are times in the romance scenes of the book that are a bit cheesy. It is around this point in the book the plot seems to plateau with not much suspense or tension occurring between the characters. Instead it seems to be a simple narration of Anaya’s day-to-day events.

Anaya is a relatable character that many readers may identify with. A psychologist attempting to give others the mental clarity that she struggles to find for herself, her character is definitely one of subtle irony. Anaya’s fight to conquer her own bipolar disorder is on pulse with the current society’s increasing awareness of mental illness. Additionally, Anaya’s quick-wittedness and devotion to her friends and family is endearing.

In the beginning of the book the detail is rather heavy and over-worded. While I liked it, some readers may quit reading the book when the word choice and sentences become too long-winded. This, of course, evens out as the book goes on. In general, the imagery is vivid and pleasant to read and gives all the characters very distinct personalities.

I give The Watchmaker’s Doctor a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The character depictions of Anaya and her friends and family are detailed and the book is full of vivid imagery. However, there are parts of the book that come across as corny and the plot seems to flatten out in the middle of the book where there doesn’t seem to be much happening. At the end of the book it is mentioned that Anaya’s journey through time continues in the sequel The Watch Seeker. Based on what I have read in The Watchmaker’s Doctor, I would certainly be interested in following Anaya on her journey in the second book.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Leah1991's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”