Review by dgallois -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dgallois
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgallois.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by dgallois -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dgallois »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a fun book about friendships and as the title suggests fishing. Fly fishing to be exact. Don’t let the title scare you away from this one.

The story is about five women from different walks of life that have become the best of friends. Four of them have been friends for a while when circumstances bring the fifth member into the group. Rose is the matriarch of the group. She is a bit older than the rest and a widower. Sophie becomes friends with Rose when they both are shopping for fly gear in the same shop. They instantly connect and become best of friends even though Rose is old enough to be her mother. Veronica is the next one to join the group. Sophie sat next to Veronica on an airplane. They connect, and Sophie convinces her to give fly fishing a try. Veronica takes her up on the offer and falls in love with the sport and became quick best friends with Sophie and Rose. Amanda makes four as she and her family meet Sophie while visiting Sophie’s pumpkin patch. Sophie convinces Amanda to join the group for a weekend of fishing and she is soon one of the girls and is also now hooked on fly fishing too. The last member, Melody, just happens to meet the others most unconventionally when she is “fished out” of the river by the others. Melody is the youngest and most colorful of the group.

The story is also about overcoming fears and being open to new experiences. Fear can take on many shapes, like the fear of the unknown, or the fear of getting hurt, or maybe even the fear that we aren’t good enough. Each of the friends have something they fear, and each were open to at least one new experience. They faced each of these as good friends should, together.

The author does a great job of character development. The story is written with each chapter being from one of the friend’s perspectives. You get to really know the characters and feel as though you are one of the group. It was easy to read and took me on an emotional journey. I laughed out loud in some places and cried A LOT at others. She also describes the scenes so well, you can almost see the ladies fishing in the river. I am not familiar with fly fishing but did read that the author has experience with the sport, so I am sure that information is accurate.

I really don’t have a negative thing to say about this book. I believe the one surprise near the end is sad and I was not a fan of that part, but I can understand how it works with the story. Along with the sad part of the story, the author describes how each of the ladies represent one of the five main components of the fly rod. I promise that will make sense when you read the book.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book appears to have been professionally edited as I only found one error. I truly enjoyed this book and I recommend this to women of all ages. I feel that every reader will be able to identify with at least one of the characters or at least some of the stories of these characters.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dgallois's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

This book intrigues me and scares me at the same time. It would appear to be the equivalent of a "chick flick" in book form but it sounds really good. I like to stray out of my comfort zone every once in a while as long as the "story" is really good and this book appears to fit the mold. My assumption is most people who read and review for this site are avid readers and when I see "I really don't have one negative thing to say about this book" it really makes an impact. Thank you for the review!
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Honestly, I've been looking at this book for weeks now. I just don't like fishing so I have been avoiding it. Your review makes me want to give it a chance now though!
dgallois
Currently Reading:

Post by dgallois »

StarkidStarling wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 09:07 Honestly, I've been looking at this book for weeks now. I just don't like fishing so I have been avoiding it. Your review makes me want to give it a chance now though!
Read it...you won't be disappointed. I am not the biggest fan of fishing but enjoyed those parts of the book along with the rest of the story.
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
dgallois
Currently Reading:

Post by dgallois »

jcoad wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 08:09 It would appear to be the equivalent of a "chick flick" in book form but it sounds really good.
this describes the book very well. I still think you may enjoy it.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”