Review by Espie -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Re: Review by Espie -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I usually don't read religious books as this, but I do admire the author's work. It's interesting how he explains himself and his work. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Truth be told, I don't usually pick religious books to read, but I admire the quote at the beginning of your review.

"It is in the process of living a life that is surrendered to God and His purpose that all other essentials of life such as good health, strength, peace, prosperity, good home, stable marriage, good job, security and so on, are added bonuses."

I agree with this quote and I admire Pastor Job for practicing what he is preaching.

Thanks for sharing your review.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Fantastic review, while I'm not interested in this myself, I can tell that you really enjoyed this book.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

LV2R wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 04:39 The book sounds like it was a positive one, sharing real experiences and about real people. I like that you said the book was character-driven through storytelling and that Pastor Job had a sense of humor.
Indeed, it is an inspiring and uplifting piece. While it has profound food for thought, there are tinges of lightness in the minister's quick wit and candid banter. Thank you for sharing your initial impressions about the book and my review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love that the characters are all so relatable and that there is humour in this book. Also, I love how open-minded you are. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Espie

Post by Espie »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 13:14 I usually don't read religious books as this, but I do admire the author's work. It's interesting how he explains himself and his work. Thank you for your descriptive review!
I understand and respect the fact that we all have our own preferences as unique as our own blend of background, circumstances, learning, experiences, and perspectives in life. Thus, thank you for being so open-minded, for giving the book and my review a chance, and for sharing your thoughts.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

Dolor wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 20:25 Truth be told, I don't usually pick religious books to read, but I admire the quote at the beginning of your review.

"It is in the process of living a life that is surrendered to God and His purpose that all other essentials of life such as good health, strength, peace, prosperity, good home, stable marriage, good job, security and so on, are added bonuses."

I agree with this quote and I admire Pastor Job for practicing what he is preaching.

Thanks for sharing your review.
I'd read a book like this one, but it's something that I'd rarely write about in public. The piece just came in a time when I needed the food for thought. It's good when a person goes beyond our usual human frailties and strive to achieve integrity in thoughts, words, and actions indeed; the protagonist embodied that, indeed. Thank you for going out of your way and for sharing your thoughts.
Espie

Post by Espie »

holsam_87 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 22:19 Fantastic review, while I'm not interested in this myself, I can tell that you really enjoyed this book.
I understand that our book preferences and all other life choices could indeed be as unique (yet to be understood and respected) as each of us is. Indeed, it was a worthwhile as well as inspiring read. Thank you for dropping by and for sharing your thoughts.
Espie

Post by Espie »

JR Mercier wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 00:32 I love that the characters are all so relatable and that there is humour in this book. Also, I love how open-minded you are. Great review.
The food for thought and lessons from the book are uplifting, yet the characters are not too fantastical. Thank you as well for going out of your way and for sharing your impressions about the book and my review, too.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This doesn't sound like my cup of tea as I don't normally read religious books. However, I note that it brings a ray of hope and it is always good to read something that promotes cheerful thought.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Espie

Post by Espie »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 14:46 This doesn't sound like my cup of tea as I don't normally read religious books. However, I note that it brings a ray of hope and it is always good to read something that promotes cheerful thought.
It could indeed spark a light of optimism and positivity that could make us see the possibility that things could still go right. Thank you for your honesty and for dropping by.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I like books on spiritual topics, as I haven't read any book on pastoring, so this would be a nice collection. Thanks for your great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Espie

Post by Espie »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 00:30 I like books on spiritual topics, as I haven't read any book on pastoring, so this would be a nice collection. Thanks for your great review.
It wasn't quite what I initially expected, but I was pleasantly surprised. I hope you'd find it insightful, too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for giving the piece a chance.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

You've summed the book up well. I find we have a major difference in opinion though. I felt the book lacked character and included quite a few mistakes which I found hindered me. The pastor was funny, but overall, I think the book is average at best.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Espie

Post by Espie »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 18:30 You've summed the book up well. I find we have a major difference in opinion though. I felt the book lacked character and included quite a few mistakes which I found hindered me. The pastor was funny, but overall, I think the book is average at best.
Thank you for your kind words and honest feedback, Georgia. I agree that we all have our own unique blend of backgrounds, experiences, and other circumstances that could affect our corresponding thoughts, choices, and actions. Similarly, I believe that our difference in perspective is due to the variations in our pre-reading expectations, on-reading observations, and eventual post-reading analysis and realisations. I decided to choose and read the book at a time when I was in search for an uplifting piece; its surprising ability to deliver on that made the technical flaws pale towards insignificance.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”