Review by Espie -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Review by Espie -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by ea_anthony »

This book has a catchy title and good art cover. It got me when I first saw it and I also reviewed the book. The premise was great and seemed to promise a lot, however it fell short in a few areas. Nonetheless, this is a good book and a fairly interesting read. The story flows from a Pastor's perspective and the protagonist Pastor Job is a likable character, I believe the author has discovered a workable formula and would be very interested in reading his next work. Nice review by the way and congrats to the author on #BOTD.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Thanks for the interesting review of this book. I have to say though that since religious books are not my go-to reads I will be passing on reading this book. I do applaud the author for keeping this book from being bland by working wit and humor into it. I'm sure that many who read this book will enjoy it and appreciate the author for this.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Though this is a good review I do not believe that I will be reading this book. When it comes to books as such I am more interested in the story of how preachers or other religious figures began there the way to the life of Christ. As well as the struggles that still present themselves in their lives.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Elysian Lilac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elysian-lilac.html
Latest Review: Beast of 77 by Shawn a Jenkins

Post by Elysian Lilac »

I am not a religious person in any way but I noticed that this book is fairly descriptive and well written just from reading the first few pages. The introduction of the book seems to show how this pastor stands out from the traditional, trendy pastors that are mentioned on social media and in the news frequently. The beginning is interesting enough that it would probably be a good read for religious and non religious people alike. Thanks for writing an enlightening review! I also noticed that the characters are very realistic, just from the first few pages!
Fredboy 1981
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fredboy 1981 »

This is a good review I don't believe that I will read this book.Hence it comes to books as such I'm more excited and interested in the story of how pastors or religious leaders began their way of to Christ Jesus
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I am glad the book contains wit and humor. Congrats to the author on BOTD, but religious books are not for me.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

Thanks for the review !
The book is great and I have read some of it before to write a review about it, but it wasn't my type of political and religious one.
Congratulations to the author for the BOTD and goodluck !
Think outside of the books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Sounds like an interesting concept - following Pastor Job as he shares his thoughts, feelings, experiences, and challenges he faces while being in the Christian ministry. It's nice to know that he supports what he says by using Biblical passages and that there is a nice mixture of plot-driven and character-driven storytelling. There's also humor and wit? That's always nice in a more serious read. Too bad about the errors you found here, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy these stories of hope. Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Although I don't think I share some of this Pastor's beliefs, I admire people who still believe in God and makes an effort to follow His commands. I'm glad he used the Bible as much as possible too.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I enjoyed your review Espie! Thanks for sharing. I plan on reading this book - your review quite sold it to me. I'm definitely looking for a story of hope.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I like that there are Bible quotes in there, and that the characters are realistic. Great review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

This isn't a book for me, but I like that the author has included bible quotes to reinforce his message. Thank you for your lovely review :)
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Your review is great, you have described the characters concisely. As you have said that Pastor Job preaches by example and that he has also flaws shows that he is dedicated and faithful to God.
KateM234
Currently Reading: Betrayal in Blue
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katem234.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KateM234 »

Awesome review! I just recently read this title and I feel like you’ve done a great job encompassing all the nuances it has to offer! While I am not an overly religious person by nature and normally wouldn’t have looked into reading this book, it was uplifting and witty and truly enjoyable. Your review definitely encompasses that and more! Great job! 👍
pixiestyx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiestyx.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by pixiestyx »

I don't read religious fiction, but this book sounds like it's an uplifting, inspiring read. I'm sure there are many people who will enjoy reading about Pastor Job and his flock. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”