Review by Espie -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Re: Review by Espie -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by Espie »

Helen_Combe wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 04:18 It’s not really my sort of book, but I’m pleased to see wit, humour and falability are all involved.
Hi, Helen. I understand and respect the uniqueness of backgrounds, circumstances, and corresponding preferences that each one of us. Thank you for your positive feedback and especially for going out of your way to go over the initial barriers and giving the piece a second look through my review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie

Post by Espie »

Vickie Noel wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 05:32 Lovely review. I quite agree that it is a life focused on seeking God's interest first that results in fulfullment as hughlighted in the review intro. But I'm not really into this type of read though.Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Vickie, for your profound comments. I'd read a book like this but will usually veer away from writing about it much more so on a public forum, too. I think it just came in time for when I need a breather and something more positive to focus on. As it turned out, it wasn't just a book for review but another blessing.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

NuelUkah wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 06:45 This book is on my list of books to review. I like the title, and your review is quite encouraging to read the book. Pastors are also humans, you know. It really isn't an easy task. I'd like to feed on the contents of this book. Thanks for the review.
I should be the one to thank you, Nuel, for taking the time to check my review and for your corresponding comments. I agree that we all have our own weaknesses and limitations, which we need to overcome and grow from. At times, we need a little if not great help to make some progress.

This piece came in so timely for me. I've been looking for an inspirational read and an extra nudge to go about the everyday nuances of life. I'm pleased to say such have been found.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Ma Cheryll wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:03 Congratulations on this wonderful review @Espie♥️Great job you have here :tiphat: It took me back in time and reminded me of my friends and families who took God’s call to be a Pastor! As one who has lived a life of faith since I was 16 years old, in 1982, together with my siblings and my Mom, who was at that time separated from my Dad, I can’t help but give God praise for His great faithfulness! By God’s grace I was able to finish College and land a job day after my graduation, just when employment was at a holt due to our Country’s Political chaos at that time. I can go on and on with the many blessings God has showered us with, but to close, I’d like to honor God for bringing our parents back together after 27years of separation, they’re still living together and on their 54th year. Me and my siblings each has a family of our own and each have a roof over our head. And my adult child is now a professional, working and serving the Lord through the Music Ministry, declaring God’s goodness and teaching the next generation! God’s steadfast love never ceases and His mercies never come to an end, they are new every morning! This is what I see in this book dear. Great is God’s faithfulness🙌 Thank you again for sharing @Espie. God bless you and your family too🙏🏡
Thank you so much, Cheryll. I'm a bit awe-struck as well as inspired by your comments and revelations. I've got a long list of blessings to also thank God for that I don't know how to begin but am sure that it I won't be able to end if I'm going to enumerate the countless ways. This book club, as well as all of you and everything in it, is part of that list. I believe that we would be able to see beauty, goodness, and everyday miracles if we would only choose to do so and believe. I'm happy for you and how life had been, is, and would be good for you. Stay blessed, as you truly are.
Espie

Post by Espie »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:22 This book is my current read too. Truly a calling to be a pastor is difficult but worth it as you are taking care, overseeing, and ministering the saints. Thank you so much for your thoughts on this book.
It's good that you've found the piece, too. Every one of us has our own sets of weaknesses and strengths that affect or are affected by our threats and opportunities; the protagonist was no exception and it's notable how he was able to strike the balance and stoically go through it all. All the best. May you find the precious trinkets of thoughts and inspiration that I was hoping for and eventually able to find in this book. Thank you for sharing your insights and kind words, too.
Espie

Post by Espie »

MsTri wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 09:46 Even though spiritually-based books are usually my faves, I just don't think I could get into this one, though I do like that relevant "addresses" from the Bible are included; I prefer to see what the Word has to say about anything of this type that I read.
This piece has a wealth of directly-quoted bible verses to support every message Pastor Job preached. He hasn't quoted my favourite verse (i.e. Proverbs 3:6 (NRSV) that states, " In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."), and yet he is the embodiment of a faithful follower of the precept.

I definitely agree with you that each of us has our own unique sets of circumstances, backgrounds, experiences, learning, and beliefs that affect our corresponding preferences. We may differ, but we and our choices truly deserve respect. Thus, thanks a lot, Trina, for going out of your way to do that and for even taking the time to share your constructive feedback and precious thoughts.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Mely918 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 09:58 This doesn't seem like my type of read. However, I like that the book has great humor and wit. Seems like a pretty unique book. Great job on your review!
Hi, Mely918. Although it is something I'd choose to read in private, it's not going to be my first choice to usually write about as well. The minister is indeed humorous and witty, without even consciously trying I suppose. It's a unique read, and I've found the inspiring thoughts I was looking for. Thank you for dropping by, for sharing your thoughts, and for your kind words as well.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Lunastella wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 10:40
Espie wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 00:14 I think this will appeal to those who, like me, prefer to have a break from the oftentimes mind-boggling and nerve-wracking bad news and tragedies. That respite could still involve knowing what's happening but also entails finding reasons to believe that there are solutions even for desperate situations. It is for those looking for stories of hope. Realists would consider these to be coincidences. Some would say they came from pure luck. A believer like me would refer to them as blessings or everyday miracles.
Sounds like this book is just right for me. I usually don´t go for religious books, honestly, but you made such a compelling argument and your enthusiasm for the book really shines through. And I admire authentic, congruent people like the Pastor.
Thanks for a great, moving review!
Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and your uplifting feedback.

Indeed, each one of us has our own proven or preferred sources of inspiration and motivation, which may just vary in nature, gradation, frequency, constancy, and form. This piece is something I'd read but not usually write about. It's good that it came at a time when I needed more precious trinkets of thoughts to live by and go beyond my normal human limitations. I hope you'd be able to find yours, too.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 12:36 I personally do not like to listen to someone's preaching and believe everything. I like to find truth by myself. The protagonist seems to be a very spiritual person. I like the character. I think he is doing a great job inspiring and helping people. Though I am big sceptic, I bow down to those who help people in need. Thanks for your review. I really enjoyed it.
Just like any other fictional piece, although there are telltale signs that this book could either be or not really be one, a reader does have the option to believe the unbelievable or treat the believable with disbelief even if such really resonates truth (among other considerations, possibilities or choices) for the purpose of attaining more objectivity in one's subjectivity. I also admire people who choose to find some good beyond what's readily obvious and who opt to be more open-minded enough to go past the superfluous and give a piece (not within one's usual preferences) like this one a fair chance. I also agree that it is possible for a random act of kindness, no matter how seemingly trivial or minute, to create a much-needed difference. Thus, thank you for "walking your talk" by taking the time to drop by and for honestly expressing your points and thoughts.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Cotwani wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 15:14 I had thought from the title that the book would be about great challenges needing mountain moving faith, that pastors face. It's refreshing to note it's an inspirational, every day events journey. Thanks for the thorough review!
I wouldn't want to give unnecessary spoilers, yet I just have to say that this piece embodies the textbook definition of a fictional piece because of the numerous times the unexpected yet hoped for coincidences, bouts of luck, blessings, or everyday miracles (depending on how one would call solutions to be) have happened throughout the piece. It also has plentiful amounts of relatable and readily-gleanable realities and revelations we'd expect to find from a non-fictional work. Thank you for dropping by and for sharing your well-founded viewpoints and kind words.
Espie

Post by Espie »

JuliaKay wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 15:18 I don't think that I have ever read a book from a pastor's perspective, so I think that his point of view would be interesting. I am glad that he doesn't claim to be without flaws. I normally do not enjoy religious books, especially with a lot of Biblical quotations, but I am curious about seeing the church through the pastor's eyes. Great review.
I am a Catholic and we have priests, not pastors, in our churches. Yet, I believe that both capacities are within the same line of vocation: servant leadership. Like you, this is also the first time I've read something from such a viewpoint. Finding inspiration and motivation from reads like this is something I'd do, but writing about it for the public isn't part of the usual "me" as well. Thank you for going out of your comfort zone and for giving this piece and my review a chance, too.
Espie

Post by Espie »

trajoe1206 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 18:33 Thanks for the great review. I'm not sure if this is the bok for me, but maybe I will add it to my list for something different to read
The inspiration and motivation from this piece are what I'd usually look for in a read, and yet it isn't what I would usually write about as well. It just came at the right time to land in my book review list, I suppose, which is something I do not regret but instead feel happy to have opted for. With your open mind and willingness to go beyond the superfluous, I believe that you'd be able to find at least one or two relatable or thought-provoking portion, if not more. Thank you for giving my review and the book a chance.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like a great inspirational and spiritual read for believers. I agree that a book like this one is not for everyone. Thanks for the great review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Espie

Post by Espie »

Yolimari wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 01:47 Sounds like a great inspirational and spiritual read for believers. I agree that a book like this one is not for everyone. Thanks for the great review!
Indeed, it could provide inspiration and motivation to those who are after an uplifting read. Those who don't mind going out of their comfort zones could potentially find some precious trinkets of ideas to ponder on from the piece, too. Thank you as well for dropping by and for sharing your thoughts.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The book sounds like it was a positive one, sharing real experiences and about real people. I like that you said the book was character-driven through storytelling and that Pastor Job had a sense of humor.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”