Review by Kajori50 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review by Kajori50 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[The following is a review of Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.]

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon takes the reader on an enthralling journey in “a land of magic, history, and legend. A place of myth, ancient stories, ancient people.” Sheldon beautifully weaves familial history with the wild beauty of nature in his novel.

The book begins with Tom Olsen, along with his friends William and Myra, making preparations for a backpacking trip deep in the heart of the Olympic Peninsula to visit Tom's grandfather, Robert ‘Bob-Bob' Olsen's grave. However, their best laid plans are pushed off-kilter by a single knock which heralds the arrival of Tom’s estranged wife, Ruth. She unceremoniously dumps their teenage granddaughter Sarah Cooley in Tom's unsuspecting hands. Before this very moment Tom had no idea that his deceased daughter, Becky had a daughter of her own. First abandoned by her father and then dumped by her grandmother, thirteen year old Sarah cynically calls her grandfather's place, “the end of the earth, this place.” On the other hand, a flabbergasted Tom does not know what to do with her. On the advice of William and Myra, a reluctant Tom decides to take Sarah along for the journey.Thus, begins a journey of a lifetime.

While on the journey, things become tense when Sarah claims to see a long-extinct short faced bear. When Tom does not seem to believe her, the trip goes haywire. An angry Sarah disappears with an important artefact, namely ‘atlatl’. When she returns after eight days, she narrates an outlandish tale which the others find difficult to believe. They all return home but after a few months circumstances lead Tom, Sarah, William and Myra to go back to the mountains with a new quest.This time around, they are joined by Russian genealogist, Sergei. They aim to retrieve the lost artefact which could not only put a long argued theory at rest but also save a heritage site from being commercialized.

Sheldon does a wonderful job at creating a powerful plot by interspersing themes of magic realism, science, history and familial ties. His technique of depicting Sarah's vision through her point of view was masterful. This not only gave us a deeper insight into her character but also portrayed her strong heart beautifully. However, I felt that the transition between Sarah's vision and the present could have been a bit smoother.

The plot becomes all the more interesting because of the presence of well developed characters. Among all the different characters, I found the ornery Sarah to be quite endearing. Despite facing harsh conditions, both in the present and her vision, she did not lose her spark for one moment. I loved the way Tom gradually became Tom-Tom to her towards the end of the book. Also, I found the relation between Myra and her father, William to be heart-warming. The affection between them was evident in every dialogue the father-daughter duo exchanged amongst each other. Apart from that I found the banter between Sarah and the adults to be quite witty. Also, I enjoyed the skirmish of wits between Sergei and Myra.

In a span of 44 chapters and about 261 pages, Sheldon takes us on a rendezvous spanning across the Olympic Peninsula. Through his words and excellent use of imageries , Sheldon paints a vivid picture of the milieu, making the reader feel like a character of the book.The one thing that I absolutely loved about the book is the way Sheldon's passion for Native American culture is evident in each and every chapter. The way Sheldon portrayed the plight of the Sol Duc Tribe due to the conflict of interest between Buckhorn International and the environmentalists was praiseworthy. Also, the dilemma faced by the natives of choosing between a job and protecting their age-old traditions intrigued me. Sheldon gave us a clear picture of the nature of exploitation the Native Americans have to endure, even in the twentieth century.

This book taught me a lot. I got to know many things about the Ice Ages and the way of life in “the time before there were people as we are people.” Not only did I get to know about the myriad prehistoric animals traversing the earth thousands of years ago but also got an an insight about the lifestyle of the ancient Native Americans. All of this gave me a new perspective about the world we live in.

However, a few things made this read a bit less engrossing for me. I found the writing to be somewhat stilted in a few places. The sentence construction, use of punctuation, articles, tenses etc. were not always on point. For instance, in the second chapter Sheldon writes “They ate but they watched Sarah”. There is an improper use of conjunction here. Also, in chapter six there is an incorrect use of tenses in the sentence, “When those two met, sparks would fly". I feel one more round of proofreading and editing will make the book absolutely perfect.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite a few minor errors, Sheldon does a marvellous job of mesmerising his readers. He takes the reader on a breath-taking journey along with a strong heart, or rather a handful of strong hearts bent on discovering themselves and validating their very existence. I would recommend this book to anyone with an adventurous heart and a passion for history.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

The combination of magic,history,and legend in this book is a very beautiful concept.I look forward to reading this book.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Sweet Psamy wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 06:35 The combination of magic,history,and legend in this book is a very beautiful concept.I look forward to reading this book.
Thank you for your feedback. Hope you enjoy the book. :D
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I thought her dreams were a little confusing sometimes. I liked the original story better. As for Sarah, I thought she was a very smart and brave child. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul

LaurenHaupt wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 09:59 I thought her dreams were a little confusing sometimes. I liked the original story better. As for Sarah, I thought she was a very smart and brave child. Thanks for the review.
Sarah was truly a courageous child. Thank you for your feedback. :)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I agree with you that this book gives so much - family relationships, cultural history, and adventure all in one! Lovely review :D
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Julie Green wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 14:54 I agree with you that this book gives so much - family relationships, cultural history, and adventure all in one! Lovely review :D
Thank you so much. :D
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Despite her 'bratty' start, Sarah ended up saving the day! Thanks for the very informative review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 13:47 Despite her 'bratty' start, Sarah ended up saving the day! Thanks for the very informative review!
Thank you so much. :D
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon takes the reader on an enthralling journey in “a land of magic, history, and legend. A place of myth, ancient stories, ancient people.” Sheldon beautifully weaves familial history with the wild beauty of nature in his novel.
I really like your intro! It's so descriptive, and sums up the beauty of the book really well.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

BookReader+6 wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 08:03
I really like your intro! It's so descriptive, and sums up the beauty of the book really well.
Thank you for your feedback. :)
philiph1996
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by philiph1996 »

Very interesting story as of sarah, very strong child.
ALFO-MU+254

Post by ALFO-MU+254 »

This is a very interesting book to me because it gives a reader a teaching that,like sarah, one should not lose hope in what he or she is doing when faced with difficulties and harsh conditions. The review is very inspiring. Well done.
philiph1996

Post by philiph1996 »

This novel teaches me how to be come out of difficulties.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Sheldon does a wonderful job at creating a powerful plot by interspersing themes of magic realism, science, history and familial ties. His technique of depicting Sarah's vision through her point of view was masterful.
This sounds really cool! I like books with good characterization and interesting family dynamics, which it seems like this one has. Thanks for the review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”