Review by WendyNorth -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WendyNorth
Currently Reading: My Author Is Dead
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendynorth.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by WendyNorth -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by WendyNorth » 27 Aug 2018, 12:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World Incorporated by Tom Gariffo is a science-fiction story set in a dystopian future that is not so distant from our current times. The story is told in such a way that introduces the reader to what has happened, and some degree of the results that have come into effect throughout the course of a fairly short period of time. Through the main character we are provided a better view of different aspects of what society has become, though I found that we don’t get a very well-rounded view of society through the eyes of the people who live their daily lives within the normal frames of society. This book would likely be enjoyed by someone who likes to read science-fiction that is more involved in the technological or political aspects of the genre.

The story revolves around a plot that is based in politics and consumerism. The world is run by large corporations, and a lot of the world society lives under the lifestyle provided through this consumerist system. Of course, not everyone is willing to fit into the new society, and that brings us to our main character, Agent Sliver, and his role in all this.

Agent Sliver is a special agent who we follow through multiple missions and begin to meet the ideas and way of life that comes with the time in which the story is set. Sliver has been steeped in the current system, he is strong, capable, and able to do the work he is assigned, but through the twists and turns of the story he is ultimately lead to face, and question, the humanity within himself, and the work that he does. He meets friends along the way that add some depth and value to the story for the reader, as well as adding to the personal development, and motivations, of Agent Sliver.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. The reason it didn’t get 3 is that I didn’t enjoy certain aspects of the storytelling. The style was interesting, at first, but it grew boring due to length. I also found that we don’t really get to know some of the characters enough to become emotionally invested. I understand that that could be connected to certain ideas that tie through the story. I did like that the characters were catalysts, in a way, for the main character, but I found they didn’t always bring much to the story itself. There were also a handful of sentences with missing words, leading me to believe it wasn't well edited. I gave it a 2 instead of a 1 because it did have elements of humor that I enjoyed and because it provides food for thought due to the time frame of this “future” and some of the themes that come up as we progressively learn more about what has happened to lead to the book’s current time and situation.

Despite the lower score I have given the book, I would still recommend this book to people who are interested in science fiction, technology, and politics. When it was good, it was good, and its contents might be more interesting to someone who likes those particular aspects of the science fiction and dystopian future genres.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like WendyNorth's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”