Review by holsam_87 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by holsam_87 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you the type of person that likes to read about strong women? What if they have friendships that are based on an unusual hobby? Well, The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is based exactly on this. The five main characters are women of varying ages and lifestyles, but they are all connected over their mutual love of fly fishing.

Getting a sense of who the characters are made this book so much more interesting than I originally thought. I first thought that it was going to be all about fly fishing, but it was far from that. Reading about the five women's lives put things into perspective more. It is definitely a contemporary piece of fiction that focuses on very real issues like relationships, work, and grief.

While I felt connected to each of the characters in some way, I feel that Melody was easiest for me to connect with. We are both young, driven women that are trying to make sense of life. And yet, I'm nowhere near as daring as she is, but I think I could learn a lot of things from her actions. I also have a better support system in my family than she does, but she's lucky to have met Sophie, Rose, Amanda, and Veronica when she did.

This book gets pretty funny at times, especially when the ladies all get together. In spite of, there are moments that are sad and nerve-wracking too. The way they have each other's backs is very inspiring and symbolizes how close they all are. I am lucky enough to have friends in my life like this too.

Each of the women play an important role in their group. Rose is like the wise, mentor type that has a funny story to pick up the mood when things are down. Sophie is the strong, spirited lady that isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. Veronica is the lady that teaches leadership and is a bit of a mother hen. Amanda is really good at organization and maintenance, despite her husband being deployed to Afghanistan. Melody is very good at artistic expression through her photography and can catch things at the perfect moment.

I found only one error, which was very minimal. This shows that this book was professionally edited. I learned a lot about fly fishing, as the sport fascinates me. Fly fishing has been portrayed is more of a men's sport, but that would not prevent me from observing.

The fact that I learned something new and that this book is so well written makes me appreciate contemporary fiction a lot more. It is because of these reasons that I give The Reel Sisters a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Using many points of view makes this book stand out from other books. This is not the typical women's fiction genre like Bridget Jones' Diary, it has relatable themes that can appeal to everyone.

Some things to be aware are that this book talks a lot about bodily functions. There is also a fair amount of swearing. If you don't like these things, then stay clear. Thus, if you don't mind books with points of view or descriptions of someone's life, then you should take a look.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like holsam_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like an excellent, character driven novel.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! The characters all sound fully developed (which I love in books) and I like that the women are all strong and are at different stages of their life :D
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I had tried fly fishing way back in my younger years. I had been a good friend to most of the people, but I felt like they just used me. They were never there when I needed them. I'm happy that the author had found real friends. Thanks for the great review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

holsam_87 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 16:26 Are you the type of person that likes to read about strong women? What if they have friendships that are based on an unusual hobby? Well, The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is based exactly on this. The five main characters are women of varying ages and lifestyles, but they are all connected over their mutual love of fly fishing.
I do like to read about strong women and female experiences in general and I love that this book presents a variety of women overcoming their differences while finding common bonding ground. It’s important to know that not all women relate to each other in catty competitions and their hobby is certainly original.
Great review, thanks!
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. I'm not interested in fly fishing but am interested in strong women who find great friendships to help them through lives challenges
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Very nice review. The book about a group of friends enjoying a hobby of fly fishing sounds pretty good. At least it is a different hobby from the usual.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Books with strong characters really take the biscuit for me. I'm not all that interested in fly fishing but I do like books with meaningful relationships and from the sound of it well-rounded characters. Great review :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Nice review. I like the personality of Rose, Sophie, and Amanda. I can relate to them more. Books involving ladies are usually funny. I'd like to read this. Thanks for your detailed review.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I loved how you represented the major attributes of each of the five characters. The strength of their friendship is really admirable! Thanks for the great review. I think I would love to read this book!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Strong women and nurturing relationships always appeal to me. Though the women were brought together by the sport, they ended up being a social support group for each other. Great review!

Feel free to read my review of the same book at: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54946
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Relatable and lesson-filled stories like what you've made this book seem should be noteworthy. Empowering someone, regardless of gender or any other circumstance, to go beyond being and doing like before towards something better would always be a good thing. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
holsam_87

Post by holsam_87 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 00:58 Great review. It sounds like an excellent, character driven novel.
Thank you, it really is.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

holsam_87

Post by holsam_87 »

Allyseria wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 19:16 Thank you for your review! The characters all sound fully developed (which I love in books) and I like that the women are all strong and are at different stages of their life :D
I enjoyed reading about all the women as well. It gives lots of perspective on life experiences.
Samantha Holtsclaw

Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”