Review by amsula_2018 -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Review by amsula_2018 -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by amsula_2018 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review on Becoming the Dragon Book 1 by Alex Sapegin

Becoming the Dragon is the first of the five books written by Alex Sapegin. It is composed of 378 pages in the Kindle app. The book is divided into several chapters and includes a glossary. It's a book where Alice in Wonderland went into the world created by Tolkien.

The story starts with a lad named Andy Kerimov. Andy is the son of a scientist who is in a project that tasked him to create a teleportation device. Andy, as any lad do today, prefers to play computer games but because lightning struck him, he cannot go anywhere near the television or computer. This saddened Andy but he found an interest in other things like cooking. He learned to cook and he is good at it that his family praised him for each meal he prepares. However, each hobby has an end. He lost interest in cooking and found an interest in archery. He mastered archery with the help of his teacher, Sergey.

Andy lived his life in the most enjoyable way he could. One day, he was asked by his sister to deliver the documents to their father. Like he always did, he went to the shortcut that he goes into but something happened that he would never expect to happen. He is teleported to another world! There are Griffin, cats as big as lions and hybrid animals that he saw for the first time. How in the world would he go home?

I appreciate the imaginative description of the place where Andy is teleported but the continuous usage of narration started to bore me when I reached the 50th page.

There are words that I am not familiar with which requires the need to look at the glossary. However, there are some words that are not found in the glossary such as bozl. For those who are going to read this book, I suggest that they should read the glossary first before delving into the story to understand the story more and not be cluttered by questions what the words mean.

The story is slow-paced for me. The narration of action scenes became monotonous that I got bored and wanted to stop reading it. The book failed to make me want to finish it immediately. It took me three days to finish it because I only read it when I want to go to sleep and it definitely did the job.

There were too many characters to remember. The characters are not even introduced or described as to what they do. This detail matter to me because they help in recalling who they are and what is their role in the story.

The shifting of the narration to another place is not smooth. I had a difficulty grasping of what the side story is for. Then later I found out that they are in the same timeline. This destroyed my enthusiasm in reading it. I hope he just focused on one area and slowly introduced the story of others because honestly while reading it, I felt like I am in a maze looking for Andy.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because I appreciate the attention to detail of the author of the world he created and creativity of the author on the creatures he made in the story. However, I got bored reading it and I had a difficulty grasping what he wants to happen in the story but it does not mean others would be bored too. The approach of the author might not be tailored to my taste but it does not mean that kind of approach is not effective to others. I would recommend this book to parents who want to read a book to their children before they go to sleep. It would definitely help in their creativity. I think it's a book that children would enjoy.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like amsula_2018's review? Post a comment saying so!
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Amelia Suratos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-suratos.html

Post by Amelia Suratos »

Sounds like its a boring book but I might still give it a try.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html

Post by amsula_2018 »

Amelia Suratos wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 00:37 Sounds like its a boring book but I might still give it a try.
I did say that others might like it so give it a try. You might have a different view. 😊😊
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”