Review by LaurenHaupt -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by LaurenHaupt -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by LaurenHaupt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I love going to magic shows. I enjoy watching tricks that magicians come up with. Wouldn't it be great if everyone was able to perform at least one magic trick? How cool would it be if we lived in a world where there was magic all around us? Dragon Born is a young adult magical fantasy book. It was written by Ela Lourenco.

Fantasy becomes reality in the world of Azumantium. In Azumantium, everyone has at least one magical trait about them. The main character in this book is a twelve-year-old girl named Lara. She is looking forward to going to magic school. In magic school, every kid gets tested to find out what magical trait they were born with. When Lara takes her test her councilors are amazed at her results. Lara has a lot of power. Afraid that Lara is too young to handle her results, they fabricate new results for her. They are afraid that the young girl may get hurt and taken advantage of if people find out what she is capable of. Suspicion grows for Lara and her friends. Lara starts to realize that she is even more powerful than she thought.

This was the first fantasy book that I have read. I've wanted to step out of my comfort zone and read something new. The first thing that caught my eye was the cover of the book. It has a beautiful egg in the middle with a black background behind it. When I read a short summary of the book I was hooked. I took the risk and I am glad I did. Throughout the whole book, the author used so much imagination and detail it was like I was watching a movie. There was so much history in the book about the world of Azmantium it felt like it was a real place. The book has a lot of magic tricks and crazy inventions. It was fun to see what the author came up with. Some of my favorites were the floating candles, motion activated incense burners and books that floated to you whenever you called out the title.

Dragon Born was very well written. There weren't any sex scenes in the book or cuss words. All of the magic is innocent and used to help one another. I would be very comfortable if my child wanted to read this book. I do wish there was more character development in the story. There were a lot of characters in the book. Sometimes it could get confusing remembering who a person was. I've only noticed one comma that was out of place.

I give this story 4 out of 4 stars. I think anyone who enjoys magic or fantasy books would love this story, There are five books in this series. This is the first book. If you prefer a nonfiction novel you might not be interested. I hope I can find the other books in this series. I am very curious what happens in them.

Dragon Born
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LaurenHaupt's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Great review Lauren! Part of your summary reminds me of Harry Potter, while part of it reminds me of Tori from Divergent. Either way looks like this book would be an interesting read :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

The part where Lara has a lot of power but her results are fabricated to protect her reminds me of a series I watched. I love your review and I can't wait to read this book.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I'm really into fantasy stories. The book does remind me a bit of Harry Potter. I'm interested in reading this. Thank you for the review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Fuzaila wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 07:16 Great review Lauren! Part of your summary reminds me of Harry Potter, while part of it reminds me of Tori from Divergent. Either way looks like this book would be an interesting read :)
I have to watch a Harry Potter movie. I've heard she's like a female Harry Potter. Thank you!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Raya raymond wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 11:57 The part where Lara has a lot of power but her results are fabricated to protect her reminds me of a series I watched. I love your review and I can't wait to read this book.
It was fun. I think it's a great book to start with if you want to start reading fantasy. Thank you.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

prospero360 wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 07:05 I'm really into fantasy stories. The book does remind me a bit of Harry Potter. I'm interested in reading this. Thank you for the review.
Thank you.I'm going to try Harry Potter. I have a nine-year-old who might like it too.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

A world where everyone has at least one magical trait, sounds exciting .I would love to read this book.Thanks for the simple but compelling review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Nma26 wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 21:47 A world where everyone has at least one magical trait, sounds exciting .I would love to read this book.Thanks for the simple but compelling review.
Thank you. It was a fun book.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I love magical stories.I even wish I had some magical power.Nice review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

C-Extra22 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 06:33 I love magical stories.I even wish I had some magical power.Nice review.
Same here. That would be nice. Thank you
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Lara is quite an interesting characer. I just don't like the magic thing.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

She seemed like a pretty smart kid
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a charming review! Sounds like an interesting book. I think my kids would enjoy it too. Thanks for the lovely insight. :tiphat:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 22:58 What a charming review! Sounds like an interesting book. I think my kids would enjoy it too. Thanks for the lovely insight. :tiphat:
It was good. I hope I can read more of them. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”