Review by Shrabastee -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a ...

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi follows snoopy kitty Inca and her detective agency into Sri Lanka, where they are spending the summer vacation. Here they solve a case of theft in a nearby museum and provide us with a refreshing tale of their adventures.

As this was my first book in the Inca series, the introduction depicting Inca’s family tree and describing each member of her detective agency was very helpful. Being a stand-alone story, this book does not require you to read the previous ones. But after completing this book, I believe you will feel compelled to read every single one of them.

The book uses simple language and short sentences suitable for children aged 7 to 12 years. As it is written in the form of diary entries by the lead detective Inca, we get the story from her point of view. Her descriptions are humorous and add to the charm of the story. The way she often summarizes her thoughts using bullet points is simply adorable.

The story is accompanied by a number of beautifully colored illustrations made by Jorge Valle. These will undoubtedly attract the intended audience. I noticed that although the pictures depict various animals, there is a human-like quality in their expressions that might make them more relatable to the young readers.

The book reminded me of those detective stories with all the detectives in their teens. In fact, the characters of Inca’s detective agency could have easily been replaced with human teenagers. But having kittens and dogs as protagonists has its perks. First of all, they are all so very cute and cuddly! Secondly, they are at an advantage since they can discuss the case and their plans openly in front of everyone and the humans are none the wiser!

What I liked most about this story is that even within a short span, the author has masterfully introduced the children to some of the world’s diversity. The very first chapter mentions that Sri Lanka boasts ‘more than two thousand years of culture’ and has ‘at least eight UNESCO World Heritage Sites’. All the animals depicted in the book are actual inhabitants of Sri Lanka, so the children get to know about the biodiversity. References of traditional dresses such as sari and sarong and the tradition of using elephants in weddings provide glimpses into the Sri Lankan culture. The description of the sandy beaches and lush forests was enough to induce an urge of traveling in young minds.

Another good thing about the book is that it contains subtle moral lessons. The way Inca enlists the help of Rani the turtle and Meena the elephant shows her regard for friendship. When Inca realizes that solving the mystery would not have been possible without her friends and siblings, she emphasizes the importance of team effort to achieve success. When she leaves the home at night in search of her hare-brained brother, or when the mighty cheetah decides to return her to her home, they show why the family is important above all. The children are sure to imbibe these moral values while enjoying the read at the same time.

My only complaint is that the Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka could have been explored in more details. In addition to Anuradhapura temple, the kitties could have visited other sites as well. Illustrations of a few of the Heritage Sites would have been more helpful and informative for the children.

Despite this, the book deserves nothing less than a 4 out of 4 stars. From the technical standpoint, I noticed only one misspelled word. Though addressed towards children of the age group 7-12 years, I am sure the adults will also enjoy the story. It reminds us of the flavor of our beloved Aesop’s fables and once again takes us to our childhood when life was simpler and the bad guys were always punished.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I love your review! It really brings the characters to life. The author was pretty creative to choose animals as the main characters on solving this mystery. I like the theme of teamwork and family that have been emphasized in this book. I agree with you though, they should have explored those UNESCO world heritage sites more deeply.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

This sounds like a great book for children! Not only is it engaging, but it also teaches :lol: I'll have to check out the rest of the series. Thank you for the review
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Allyseria wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 07:48 This sounds like a great book for children! Not only is it engaging, but it also teaches :lol: I'll have to check out the rest of the series. Thank you for the review
Thank you Allyseria for commenting. Yes it is a great book and I myself am intending to read the whole series. I hope the rest of them will also be fun!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

joycechitwa wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:59 I love your review! It really brings the characters to life. The author was pretty creative to choose animals as the main characters on solving this mystery. I like the theme of teamwork and family that have been emphasized in this book. I agree with you though, they should have explored those UNESCO world heritage sites more deeply.
Thank you so much! To be honest, I was not sure if I would like the book. But after I started reading, I felt like I myself was in for a vacation at Sri Lanka.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book has an interesting way of teaching children the world's diversity, traditions, and moral values. As I read your review, I couldn't help reminisce on 'Secret Seven' and 'Famous Five' children detective series that shaped my reading culture. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Cotwani wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 16:45 The book has an interesting way of teaching children the world's diversity, traditions, and moral values. As I read your review, I couldn't help reminisce on 'Secret Seven' and 'Famous Five' children detective series that shaped my reading culture. Great review!
Thanks for commenting! Yes, indeed this book reminded me of all those stories featuring groups of teenage detectives that I used to like growing up, both in English and my native language. So many times I even used to fancy myself a young detective! Even though they dealt with crime, there was a sort of innocence in the stories, I believe!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Shrabastee wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 23:47
Cotwani wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 16:45 The book has an interesting way of teaching children the world's diversity, traditions, and moral values. As I read your review, I couldn't help reminisce on 'Secret Seven' and 'Famous Five' children detective series that shaped my reading culture. Great review!
Thanks for commenting! Yes, indeed this book reminded me of all those stories featuring groups of teenage detectives that I used to like growing up, both in English and my native language. So many times I even used to fancy myself a young detective! Even though they dealt with crime, there was a sort of innocence in the stories, I believe!
Hey, you have reminded me. I actually used to try be a detective in events at home and school! Good old days!!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Loved this children's mystery book, glad you liked it too!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Excellent point. Great review. I haven't read this book but I was able to review the first one. The characters seemed enjoyable and the pictures were cute.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

LaurenHaupt wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 23:41 Excellent point. Great review. I haven't read this book but I was able to review the first one. The characters seemed enjoyable and the pictures were cute.
Thanks for stopping by! I will have to read the first book (and possibly the others), I liked the characters too much and would love to know more about them.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

BookReader+6 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 14:48 Loved this children's mystery book, glad you liked it too!
Thanks for the comment! Yes, great book for the children.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

What I liked most about this story is that even within a short span, the author has masterfully introduced the children to some of the world’s diversity. The very first chapter mentions that Sri Lanka boasts ‘more than two thousand years of culture’ and has ‘at least eight UNESCO World Heritage Sites’. All the animals depicted in the book are actual inhabitants of Sri Lanka, so the children get to know about the biodiversity. References of traditional dresses such as sari and sarong and the tradition of using elephants in weddings provide glimpses into the Sri Lankan culture. The description of the sandy beaches and lush forests was enough to induce an urge of traveling in young minds.

Another good thing about the book is that it contains subtle moral lessons. The way Inca enlists the help of Rani the turtle and Meena the elephant shows her regard for friendship. When Inca realizes that solving the mystery would not have been possible without her friends and siblings, she emphasizes the importance of team effort to achieve success. When she leaves the home at night in search of her hare-brained brother, or when the mighty cheetah decides to return her to her home, they show why the family is important above all. The children are sure to imbibe these moral values while enjoying the read at the same time.

These are both very important assets. I think kids (and, actually all of us) need to learn that the world is huge and there are different cultures and worldviews and develop curiosity and tolerance.
I think kids are very smart and moral lessons being subtle is even better: kids are totally capable of getting the message and they don't feel like they're being preached on.
An analytical and enthusiastic review, thanks!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I've just completed dealing with work on a usually-disdained topic, and the still-human "me" would've already given up if not for cats as a balancing theme. I've always loved those little feline pals (as well as dogs and other pets) ever since I could remember although my circumstances have drastically changed in more recent years that prevented me from having any. Nonetheless, pieces like this never fail to make me smile a bit. Thank you for your light yet thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

A fun mystery for kids to follow in an exotic location! Thanks for another detailed and insightful review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”