Review by arcie72 -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by arcie72 -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the book Becoming the Dragon (The Dragon Inside Book 1) written by Alex Sapegin was an intriguing science fiction story. The story is about a middle school boy named Andy. Andy’s first change came about when on a school field trip, he was struck by lightning. Andy’s bout with lightning left him unable to touch technology forever. Andy had a loving family until one day he was asked to deliver some important papers to his father’s work site. Andy’s father was a scientist who was working on private research at a secure facility. Andy never delivered the papers needed by his father. So, began his next change and adventure.

Something was wrong, he was falling through the trees. Andy realized very quickly that he was no longer at home. Looking at the sky, he also realized he was not on his planet. While traveling through this world he met Orcs, mages, Gnomes and other species. This life-changing quest to stay alive and hopefully get home, he suffered horrible pain but also found he was magical. This found magic and new acquaintances made along the way helped Andy save himself and a dragon. Unbeknown to him this dragon would be his salvation. Karegar the dragon and his elven wife Jagirra would give Andy a life-altering choice.

The story is well-written but at times confusing. The jumping from one storyline to the next at first felt chaotic. The reader must be cognizant of the titles at the beginning of a chapter to stay on track with characters, locations, or storyline changes. I do feel this slowed the tempo of the story. I did not find any errors, but this could be to the lengthy compound sentences and writing style. Overall, I do not believe the writing style prohibited the enjoyment of reading this story.

Andy the main character is well-developed and held the reader's interest throughout the story. His journey is vividly captured through the imagery of words. The reader could see the terrain, experience the pain and smell the good and bad scents within the tale. The other characters enrich and included depth to the story. I would recommend this book for high school students to adults. High school students will love the magical aspects of the story while adults will appreciate the added complexity to the storyline. This story contains sexual content, but it is not sexually graphic. I would not recommend this book to magical disbelievers or overtly critical science fiction aficionados.

I rate Becoming the Dragon (The Dragon Inside Book 1) written by Alex Sapegin 3 out of 4 stars. I gave this book 3 stars instead of 4 stars due to its confusing change of storylines. It would have absolutely been a 4-star rating due to its engaging and remarkable characters and story. I will positively be looking forward to reading book two of this series.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like arcie72's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”