Review by TALIA ONYANGO -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Review by TALIA ONYANGO -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the adage goes, love is blind. Love can make a person do things he never thought were possible. It does not follow common sense. It just happened. The book Heartaches 3 by H.M Irwing is a fictional romance novel. It unravels the love story of Anna and Rafael and their pursuit to break free from the ghosts of their pasts. They are both survivors of abusive pasts. Anna is still moaning her broken relationship with Matt. He was her first lover. He masterminds her rape incident. She has difficulty in coming to terms with that considering she had loved him unconditionally. On the other hand, Rafe is also a victim of the gayish rape. He is molested by his boss while on military duties in Syria.He rarely speak about his past. All that Rafe and Anna want is to see their rapists punished. They want them to suffer! The book highlights their journey in pursuit of justice.

Other themes discussed in the novel include drug trafficking, gayish relationship, and extra judicial killings. These are things that happen in the society today. For instance, drug trafficking as is portrayed in the novel is a rich man's business. They are the orchestrator of the crime. It is ferried through the ports and custom offices. Unfortunately, the drugs never get confiscated due to the exchange of cash between the perpetrators and the custom officers. They have surely mastered the art of evading justice.

I loved the books remorseful ending. Matt and Jayson are regretful for having raped Anna and asks for her forgiveness. They even reconcile with their half brother Rafe. They had been at loggerheads. Rage was their father's illegitimate child. I think that was a plus considering most characters in the book were having bitter pasts and had a burning desire for vengeance against their wrongdoers. Ned as well learns to forgive Eric Dayton whose negligence led to loss of his brother in Syria.

On the other hand, I had difficulty in understanding characters like Pat, Suzy and David Seaborne. Their personality was not clearly unravelled. For instance, I never fully understood whom David Seaborne was. Little mention is made of him in relation to Suzy and thereafter, he disappears. That made it difficult to understand the book at times. I found myself rereading several pages to understand them fully.

I would recommend this book to survivors of rape and other forms of sexual abuse. They surely will learn a lot from Rafe and Anna experience. Persons seeking to get into relationship can also read this book. However, if you do not love Romance novels, then this is not the book for you. I give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It surely deserved that considering it had a well blended storyline. The author did a good work in connecting the book to the themes discussed in the earlier books. Bravo! I enjoyed it and is even considering reading it again.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TALIA ONYANGO's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”