Review by julessawyer -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
julessawyer
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by julessawyer -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by julessawyer » 21 Aug 2018, 05:41

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adult life is riddled with freedom and many responsibilities. The latter is a secret that children did not know. All individuals wanted to grow up fast. What we do not know, childhood is short while adult life will last until we die. When we realize this, our childhood had permanently waved us goodbye.

Entering adulthood and assuming responsibility for your life is a tough one. This is Randy Love's main predicament. Randy is a young man in his early twenty's struggling to assume responsibility for his life. This occurs after he failed half way through his university and decides not to return. Instead, he chooses to get a job, move out of his father's house and move to London. But, his decision proves to be a tough choice for the character he has. Thus, Randy Love... at your service story begins.

Before I read the book, I have prior misgivings about it. First, the title choice was poorly composed. It was cheesy and misleading. I first thought it was a romantic love story for adults. The title has nothing to do with the entire story at all. The second reason was the book cover. It reinforces my prior assumption. I decided to read the book because of its interesting topic. Despite the said misgivings, I took the plunge although my jump off point was not high, I still feel disappointed by it.

The book's plot and the characters are its two main flaws. The plot has no major twist. The book addresses the struggle of a young man in his early twenty's. It basically focuses on job hunts and living situation of the character. This happens one chapter after the other. There is no variation. This produces boredom. The same problems are a bit dragging. The end result is the absence of plot build up. The book is cohesive in terms of topic but each chapter is like standalone parts and does not contribute to the entire plot at all.

The story has no remarkable characters. The main protagonist is not a relatable and seriously irritating character. He is a spoiled, lazy excuse of a man. According to Randy himself, he wanted to earn a large amount of money but did not want to work hard. Although he lost his mother at an early age, I still find it hard to sympathize with him. Randy also has many negative remarks about women.

There are characters worth mentioning like his father, his older sister and his father's best friend. But these characters rarely appeared. All of them are quite likable. Randy also had romantic relationships but they are not interesting as well. He changes from one partner after another.

The lack of plot development led to no growth of the main protagonist. Randy Love had the same problems and resolves it the same way. Instead of addressing his living situation head on he always decides to ‘evacuate'. This solution leads to more financial losses on his side. When he was financially challenged his solution is to ask his father or his older siblings for money.

It seems the author aims to make this book a funny one but failed miserably. Its humor invests in ridiculous situations rather than the protagonist witty solution. For example, he was forced to move out of his first rented space. He took revenge by leaving soiled clothes he bought from a vagabond. Then, he took the key and sealed his room's door with adhesive. This could have been funny if he is a teenager but he is not. This immature solution is really disappointing. This continues throughout the story. I keep on waiting for him to mature but this did not happen as well.

The only thing that I find effective about the storytelling was the shift of point of view. The shift reveals the protagonist true character, especially when viewed by others.

There are many typographical errors, missing and misplaced punctuations, spelling errors and other grammar technicality. These errors are easy to spot if this book was professionally edited. Many of them are quite distracting especially the punctuations.

I will generally describe the book as easy to read and easy to forget kind of book. The plot and the characters are both flat. This is a kind of book that did not matter if you finish it or not. It will not hurt or hunt you either.

It is not pleasurable for me to give a low rating but this novel is a letdown. I cannot give it more than it deserves due to the reason stated above. I give Randy Love... at your service 2 out of 4 stars.

I will recommend this to people who like a light read. This book will not go well with people who hate a despicable character that belittles women and hard work. There are also graphic descriptions of sex scenes.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like julessawyer's review? Post a comment saying so!

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Rufus by Jim Fayssoux

Post by teacherjh » 25 Aug 2018, 18:50

Yeah, I don't really want to read a book about a person who never grew up. Thanks for the warning.
Latest Review: Rufus by Jim Fayssoux

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”