Review by lesler -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by lesler -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by lesler »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is the story of four Colorado women of different ages, interests, and backgrounds. Through random acts of fate, the four women all connect through fly fishing. The ladies all become best friends and make frequent trips to a cabin to take fishing breaks from everyday life. Sophie is a middle age single woman who runs a commercial vegetable acreage. She meets Veronica, a married middle-aged woman on a flight, and convinces her to try fly fishing. Veronica uses the lessons from fishing and writes a best selling motivational book. Sophie meets Rose, an elderly widow while fishing at a popular Colorado stream. The two hit it off and never look back. Lastly, Sophie and Amanda, a young mother of two with a husband overseas fighting in the war on terror, meet when Amanda brings her family to Sophie's pumpkin patch.

The four connect regularly from their fishing trips at the cabin and also socially through a variety of activities. The book comes from the perspective of all four females at different times, with each chapter alternating from the view of each character. An almost catastrophic event at the cabin at the beginning of the book sets the scene for adding a new character to the book, providing more diversity to the cast of characters. The author does an excellent job providing enough of a backstory of each character to make the reader feel invested but does not give emphasis to any specific character throughout the book. Each reader would have equal opportunity to have a favorite of any of the five characters.

I adored this book. The fishing terminology paired with the personal stories were written impeccably. An avid fisherwoman myself, I cannot believe I waited so long to read this book. I laughed, I cried, I gasped, I felt what the characters were feeling during the book.

I read later that the author is an avid fly-fisher in Colorado herself, and her story shone through this book. She gave each character at least one attribute similar to her own, and this realistic work of fiction is an absolute delight to read. The author also does a great job providing resources if one is interested in fly-fishing at the conclusion of the book. Her procedural writing of the fishing process of the book was enticing and amazing.

I give The Reel Sisters 4 out of 4 stars, for its excellent writing flow, captivating storyline, and wonderful cast of characters. I recommend this book to any female looking for a feel-good inspirational story about female friendships and finding one's passion.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

One of the sports where you rarely find women, is fishing! It's interesting to know that you love the sport. I know I don't have the patience for it! But who knows, maybe after lingering around fisherwomen for a while, the sport might creep up on me! I enjoyed the story too, though I found it a challenge to make it through all of the back-stories of the ladies before the plot began to move forward. But then again, I blame it on my lack of patience!
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Asheazi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asheazi »

Yes indeed this book really inspired lot of women including me it made me blive dt even we as a woman we can go fishing too as well not only d men can do dat. Nd I really envy d love these women showed to dm selves. dse dis kind of love exist? Cos d way they were there for each other, honestly I love that.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”