Review by Mjgarrison -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review by Mjgarrison -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Mary Garrison »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters is a compelling fictional story about a group of best friends with one common interest. Their lives intertwine together at different moments, but they always set aside special times throughout the year to just get away and go fly fishing in Colorado. The story begins with a beautiful group of four girls; Sophie, Veronica, Amanda, and Rose. Sophie is single and she owns a thriving greenhouse business, Veronica is happily married and owns an executive coaching business for woman, Amanda is a teacher with two young children and a husband who is overseas in the military, and Rose is a widow that built a cabin with her late husband. The cabin they built is the one the girls use as a retreat for their fly fishing trips. Later in the story a new friend floats into their lives in a highly unusual way. Her name is Melody and she is a photographer who enjoys the night life in Denver. They all love to escape the everyday hustle and bustle of life and marvel at the beauty of nature and each other’s company.

The way the author explains the feelings you get inside when you catch your first fish, and the precise details she uses to describe the scenery leaves me wanting to get out of the house and enjoy some of God’s creation myself. Although, it is not all fishing and nature, as their trip ends, they all go back to their everyday routines and the author interweaves their lives through each character’s recollection. There are themes of nature, family, friendship, love and romance along with, loss hurt and agony. The storyline was so realistic that I found myself wondering if I was reading a true story or was this book made up of fictional characters.

I loved how the author detailed the backstory of all the characters, as it gave me the sense that I knew each one of them personally. The tastefully added touches of romance throughout the story was just enough to give you a feel for the different relationships, but not enough to take it to an inappropriate level. The story was extremely informative, with sources to back up the information, allowing anyone with the desire to start a new hobby, all the resources necessary. I have been fishing many times with my husband and played around with using flies once in a while, but this story has me wanting to get serious about fly fishing.

There wasn’t any aspect of this story that I disliked. There was some strong language throughout the story that may be offensive to some, although I personally felt it made the characters more real to me. I’m not a fan of strong language, but in this story, it seemed to fit just right.

I rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. It seemed to be professionally edited, I definitely didn’t find any mistakes. It was also very informative with a captivating storyline. Although everything was tied up nicely in the end, I found myself wanting more to read because I was just so invested in the characters.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about the outdoors, friendship, photography and most of all fishing. It is a perfect story to inspire anyone to get out and enjoy what God has created for us. So whether you want to cozy up to a warm fire with the perfect blanket, or get outside and enjoy the hammock swaying in the breeze, get ready to laugh, cry and enjoy an exciting Colorado adventure with five beautiful friends.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mjgarrison's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

This is a story strong on the qualities of friendship and camaraderie. Interesting how the sport of fishing brings all of them together in spite of their diverse backgrounds which otherwise would never have crossed. A pretty lovely read!
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

mtsnel006 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 15:27 I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
I totally understand, it is hard to get into books if you're not interested in the topic. Thanks for reading my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”