Review by Nma26 -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Nma26 -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by Nma26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elijah Oladimeji’s book, Pastoring is Not What You Think is a Christian story that revolves around Pastor Job, his wife, and the Church of All Grace. The story exposes the responsibilities, challenges, consequences, and the trials he faces as a pastor. These challenges are the major backbone of the story. In the course of the story, he delivers three different sermons on giving, redemption, and prosperity. The story comes to an end with one of such messages.

The author’s language is simple. The picture he paints of real life church scenarios are original and justifies his being a pastor. Any Christian reading this book would easily see himself/herself in this book. Church members, choir members, deacons, pastors, pastor’s wife, newcomers, givers, etc. all have a place in this book. I would recommend that this story is dramatised in church.

I enjoyed reading this book. I also learnt a lot from it. The part I enjoyed best was his ability to maintain his confession, even when questioned by people close to him. My reason for this is that some of the questions they asked him, were some of the questions I would love to ask my pastor. His ability to tackle some of these controversial questions was quite commendable.

As I read his several discussions with his wife, I didn’t like their perspective about faith. I also didn’t like the level of carnality (care for worldly things) shown by him and his wife. This was the least thing I liked. My reason for this is that lots of people are ignorant of what it really means to have faith. I would have loved for him to show the real meaning of faith in this story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 4 because it has its share of typographical errors. I also did not give it a 2 because the story is quite interesting and above average.

The testimonies shared in this book are unpredictable and would make you appreciate the awesomeness of God. As a Christian, you would also appreciate and understand your pastor the more after reading this book.However, it does not tell us if it was right for the pastor to keep talking to himself.

This book would appeal most to Christians, pastors, wives of pastors, church members, church workers, and even those who don’t agree with their pastor’s teachings. This book would appeal least to non-Christians, atheist, etc. Generally, this book would give you a fresh view of your pastor.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like Nma26's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Very rarely do authors come out to give an exploration of the lives of pastors. Everyone expects them to be perfect, have all the answers, solve all their problems and preach anointed sermons. It gets easy to forget that they too have their share of challenges. I commend this author for bringing up these issues. Too bad that the wife was very carnal (materialistic), I too would have loved it if they brought out the true picture of living a faith-filled life.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Thanks dear.It's amazing how much people expect from Pastors.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Thanks for the review. I saw this book but I haven't read.it yet. Your review was great. I think I may be interested. I would be interested in hearing what he has to say.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I have seen this book a few times, I do not think it is for me but thanks for the review! I hope he can fix some of the typographical errors, for some that makes or breaks a book!
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Wow... I've being seeing the book but haven't bothered to read it; you're review has put it in the spotlight for me. It's an interesting book and I'd love to read it and hope to enjoy it as much as you did.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

This sounds like an interesting book, but definitely not for me. I haven't been in a church in over a decade at this point and have no intentions of ever going back.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Wow!!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The long sermons included in different chapters were a turn-off for me, plus Pastor Job never really showed any emotion in the face of all his troubles; which made him difficult to relate to. I didn't enjoy this book. Nice review though.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Through your intriguing review, this book seems to be helpful for people who want to know the insight of the Pastor on his journey as a christian. I would like to know more about how he tackle the issue of redemption and prosperity.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

As the title suggests, there is is really something beneath the vestment although not entirely. Even today in our modern society there are many events or news pertaining to priests.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This sounds like an honest down to earth, soul-searching account of the pastor's experiences within the Christian church. Thank you for your insightful review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It is interesting that you mentioned the book being dramatized. I think at one point it was because of how "man 4 :" is written when the pastor is talking to the young men. It appears the author changed it from script to story. In light of that, perhaps the author has a bigger theme in mind. I thought the author used tongue-in-cheek humor when depicting the pastor and his wife. The "cardinality" is clearly obvious. I was put off by it as well at first until I got to the end. I think even though the characters motives were not always right, God still provided for what they needed, but always what they wanted.

Thanks for your enlightening review.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a nice one atleast to also let people know that pastors are also human and even their wife. They face so many chanleges just like everyone else. Its an aspect most pastors dont want people to know. All this is just to encourage people in the faith of christianity. Nice review and good job. Cant wait to see my self in this book though!
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thank you for this review. I had never really considered the struggles and challenges facing pastors, but I'm convinced I have to read this after your review. I consider myself a Christian, so I hope I can identify with the book as you said.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”