Review by Lioba -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lioba
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lioba.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by Lioba -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lioba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit Of Want.
By William H Cole

Lucy , a successful lawyer is defending a TV evangelist, Hower Bain, who is accused of sexually molesting a minor. She falls in love with her client. She loses the case , loses her job and is disbarred for getting involved with her client. While on appeal , he escapes to Africa. Lucy leaves her husband, young daughter and family to follow him. She is faced with deep questions about who he really is. Disillusioned, she returns home to rebuild her life only to find that her family have disowned her and moved on with their lives.

Lucy has to try and rebuild her life and career. She also tries to reconnect with her daughter whom she had left as an infant. No one is prepared to help her but she eventually gets a job through an old assistant. She is destitute and has no money. Her husband hands her divorce papers. Since she can no longer practice law , she has to accept a job as an assistant. Life improves slightly for Lucy as she makes a new friend while working on an election campaign. The friendship later becomes sexual.

Lucy is still hung up on Hower Bain and when he returns from Africa he comes searching for her. She tries to resist but eventually goes back to him after being fired from her job. It seems Lucy cannot stay away from this man even after she finds out that he paid the girl off and the case was dropped.

What I liked about this book is that the characters of Lucy’s family were developed in such a way that the reader can get an insight as to why Lucy was so desperate to be loved by Hower Bain. However, the character of Hower Bain is not fully developed. He remains an enigma not only to Lucy but to the reader as well.

I also liked the way the author treated the additional characters from Hower’ s church. I feel that the author did his research adequately on the evangelist churches and the people who attend these. Some of the people seem to be disillusioned with their preacher but cannot break away.

Although the main character in the book is Lucy, her father A.J seems to have been overdeveloped. His work issues take up too much time in the book making me want to skim over them quickly to get back to Lucy.

Notwithstanding the above , I would still give this book a 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it as a good read. It is not the run of the mill romance but still has some romantic elements. Although fictional it has some real life situations which effectively convey the emotions of the characters.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Lioba's review? Post a comment saying so!

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a mess! But isn't life messy and complicated? I appreciate an exquisitely-written fiction that has enough reality to render it believable. I enjoyed your detailed review. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”