Review by Manali_DC -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Manali_DC -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dan "Tito" Davis, with the help of Peter Conti, chronicles his extraordinary life in this book, "Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive".

Born in South Dakota, in a family of modest means, Dan was the eldest of five siblings. From very early on what stands out is Dan's hunger to succeed, make money and be bigger than his circumstances. To this end, he worked multiple jobs, wrestled professionally and raced horses while still in school. At University, he got into the business of selling "White Crosses" i.e Speed or Amphetamine. He made millions, got involved with some dangerous people and spent a few years living a flashy life! During this period he did a stint in prison which brought him in contact with a few people who proved to be very useful later on in his life. He then started dealing in marijuana, and like every other business he started, this proved to be very successful too. But he got set-up by a friend and suddenly, he was facing the prospect of a long term in prison for a crime he did not commit. He decided, instead, to escape to Mexico, cutting off his ties with his family and country for (what he probably could never have imagined then) thirteen long years.

For the next thirteen years, he lives an incredible life - assuming different identities, different professions and traveling through diverse and out of the way places -but always living slightly on the edge, always looking over his shoulder. His years as a fugitive proved to be as diverse as if he were living completely different lives. He spent some years living alone, some in the heart of a drug cartel and some as a successful businessman. Being an essentially restless soul, with a keen sense of business, he was quick to spot opportunities and start new ventures which usually proved to be successful.

Very early in his life on the run, he makes himself a " Do Not" list - a set of rules for himself like not drinking, not making emotional decisions or not keeping in touch with people from his previous life - which he believed would minimize his chances of getting caught. Ironically, every time he got into trouble, it was because he had broken one of his own rules. He never stayed too long in one place, moving from Mexico to Medellin to Colombia, but it was Venezuela and a Venezuelan beauty who captured his heart and made him want to finally settle down. He got a few good business opportunities in Venezuela that he made the most of, and for a while, things were almost normal - or as normal as it could be for a man in his situation. But the drama in his love life and his association with an old friend unravels his carefully set new life and gets him caught and deported to the United States.

With its crisp writing and an essentially thrilling subject, this book is a page-turner! The sense of living on the edge and having to constantly be on the move comes through in the writing. However, reviewing the book proved a little tricky because of the curious and contrasting emotions of rooting for Dan Davis to stay one step ahead of his pursuers on the one hand and realizing on the other that he is a drug dealer on the run from the law. I had to make a conscious effort to leave the judgment aside. Having said that, the story does make one realize that some people are not meant to live ordinary lives! Whatever the reasons for his situation, it is incredible how he deals with the varying challenges that come his way. Not one to back down or let life knock him down, he dealt with whatever came his way and made the most of it. Some people have a "rags-to-riches" story- the number of times Dan Davis goes from rags-to-riches and down again is unbelievable! Whether as a millionaire or a person who had lost it all, he never lost his hunger to succeed and make the most of his opportunities.

A thrilling true story about a charismatic and interesting character, I give Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers who like a good crime and action story.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Manali_DC's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a action/thriller movie. It's crazy that it's all true.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

teacherjh wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 22:53 This sounds like a action/thriller movie. It's crazy that it's all true.
It is a very thrilling story and would make a good movie. And as you say, it was quite unbelievable that this story is all true and Dan Davis did live such a life!
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Manali_DC wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:29 [Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dan "Tito" Davis, with the help of Peter Conti, chronicles his extraordinary life in this book, "Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive".

Born in South Dakota, in a family of modest means, Dan was the eldest of five siblings. From very early on what stands out is Dan's hunger to succeed, make money and be bigger than his circumstances. To this end, he worked multiple jobs, wrestled professionally and raced horses while still in school. At University, he got into the business of selling "White Crosses" i.e Speed or Amphetamine. He made millions, got involved with some dangerous people and spent a few years living a flashy life! During this period he did a stint in prison which brought him in contact with a few people who proved to be very useful later on in his life. He then started dealing in marijuana, and like every other business he started, this proved to be very successful too. But he got set-up by a friend and suddenly, he was facing the prospect of a long term in prison for a crime he did not commit. He decided, instead, to escape to Mexico, cutting off his ties with his family and country for (what he probably could never have imagined then) thirteen long years.

For the next thirteen years, he lives an incredible life - assuming different identities, different professions and traveling through diverse and out of the way places -but always living slightly on the edge, always looking over his shoulder. His years as a fugitive proved to be as diverse as if he were living completely different lives. He spent some years living alone, some in the heart of a drug cartel and some as a successful businessman. Being an essentially restless soul, with a keen sense of business, he was quick to spot opportunities and start new ventures which usually proved to be successful.

Very early in his life on the run, he makes himself a " Do Not" list - a set of rules for himself like not drinking, not making emotional decisions or not keeping in touch with people from his previous life - which he believed would minimize his chances of getting caught. Ironically, every time he got into trouble, it was because he had broken one of his own rules. He never stayed too long in one place, moving from Mexico to Medellin to Colombia, but it was Venezuela and a Venezuelan beauty who captured his heart and made him want to finally settle down. He got a few good business opportunities in Venezuela that he made the most of, and for a while, things were almost normal - or as normal as it could be for a man in his situation. But the drama in his love life and his association with an old friend unravels his carefully set new life and gets him caught and deported to the United States.

With its crisp writing and an essentially thrilling subject, this book is a page-turner! The sense of living on the edge and having to constantly be on the move comes through in the writing. However, reviewing the book proved a little tricky because of the curious and contrasting emotions of rooting for Dan Davis to stay one step ahead of his pursuers on the one hand and realizing on the other that he is a drug dealer on the run from the law. I had to make a conscious effort to leave the judgment aside. Having said that, the story does make one realize that some people are not meant to live ordinary lives! Whatever the reasons for his situation, it is incredible how he deals with the varying challenges that come his way. Not one to back down or let life knock him down, he dealt with whatever came his way and made the most of it. Some people have a "rags-to-riches" story- the number of times Dan Davis goes from rags-to-riches and down again is unbelievable! Whether as a millionaire or a person who had lost it all, he never lost his hunger to succeed and make the most of his opportunities.

A thrilling true story about a charismatic and interesting character, I give Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers who like a good crime and action story.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Manali_DC's review? Post a comment saying so!
This book was not my cup of tea.

You were much nicer than I was in my review. I thought he was a jerk.

:reading-2:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

I understand exactly what you mean and I agree in part! One of the first things I realised is that I have to be non-judgmental if I have to review this book--after all this man is a drug dealer on the run and has left his family without apology twice. However, I also thought it quite remarkable that for 13 years he had the motivation to move from place to place, start new businesses and fall in love afresh! It's not something I think a lot of people could do!
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I would suggest it to those who love James Bond and gangster themed literature. Also to those, who enjoy reading travel stories.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Ana Megrelishvili wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 10:20 I would suggest it to those who love James Bond and gangster themed literature. Also to those, who enjoy reading travel stories.
Yes indeed! And especially because this "gangster" is real and everything that has happened is a true story!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”