Review by AmySmiles -- First Family by Alice Langholt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Review by AmySmiles -- First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by AmySmiles »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Family" by Alice Langholt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a perfect world where you experience no pain, and all the beauty life has to offer. The bad things we experience today, even the smallest things like being pricked by a thorn didn’t exist for Adam and Eve until they ate the fruit from the tree that God instructed them not to eat. They ate the fruit and changed their lives and the lives of all humanity forever.

The Bible gives us very little detail about the world and the lives of Adam, Eve and their sons Cain, and Abel. In Alice Langholt’s book, First Family, she gives us a much broader view of what happened. She tells how Adam felt when he was the only person in the garden, and then the excitement when Eve joined him. She also details the relationship between the brothers and what led to Cain killing Abel. The author puts real-life emotions to a dry, emotionless story from the Bible.

This book is classified historical fiction. We don't know just how these events actually happened; all we have to go by are the few chapters of the Bible. Alice Langholt does a great job filling in the blanks where the Bible falls short. Since this is a fiction book, however, it does tend to be more of opinion based rather than fact. While I didn’t always agree with how the author conveyed some of the ideas, it was in no way upsetting to my belief.

I like how the author took the story from the Bible and added human emotions. It helped me realize that Adam and Eve are just like us, and they had feelings similar to our own. The story is told from each character's perspective. The different sections are titled by who is telling the story. I enjoyed that part because it felt like you got to know the exact thoughts from that character.

There isn’t anything I didn’t enjoy about this book. There were just a couple of grammatical errors dealing with a misspelling and incorrect verb tense, but they did not distract my attention from the book at all. I rate First Family 4 out of 4 stars. The writing is excellent, and it is a very entertaining read. Anyone who enjoys biblical stories and doesn’t mind creative elaboration will enjoy reading this book. Those who find this writing style to be offensive will want to pass on this one, but I feel like they would be missing a great read.

First Family
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AmySmiles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I like how the author took the story from the Bible and added human emotions. It helped me realize that Adam and Eve are just like us, and they had feelings similar to our own.
This makes the book seem entirely worth the read. I've always thought it was hard to feel a connection to the people in the Bible, but when an author can re-write their stories with authenticity and human emotions, you can get so much more out of it.
So thank you for your review - I appreciated reading it!
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder

Post by AmySmiles »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:20
I like how the author took the story from the Bible and added human emotions. It helped me realize that Adam and Eve are just like us, and they had feelings similar to our own.
This makes the book seem entirely worth the read. I've always thought it was hard to feel a connection to the people in the Bible, but when an author can re-write their stories with authenticity and human emotions, you can get so much more out of it.
So thank you for your review - I appreciated reading it!
Thanks for commenting!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like when an author uses the Bible to create a fuller version of the story. This sounds interesting.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 18:03 I like when an author uses the Bible to create a fuller version of the story. This sounds interesting.
Me too, thanks for commenting!
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

An interesting concept of the book to fill in more details about the story of Adam and Eve. I'm glad to know you enjoyed it and weren't offended by it. It sounds interesting, but I'm not anxious to put it at the top of my reading list.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

kfwilson6 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 21:52 An interesting concept of the book to fill in more details about the story of Adam and Eve. I'm glad to know you enjoyed it and weren't offended by it. It sounds interesting, but I'm not anxious to put it at the top of my reading list.
Thanks for stopping by.
–Author Unknown
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

The story is Adam and Eve us so well known, it could use a fresh retelling. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Helen_Combe wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 07:59 The story is Adam and Eve us so well known, it could use a fresh retelling. Great review.
It really was refreshing, I'd like to read more bible stories in this manner.
–Author Unknown
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is amazing. I enjoy reading the Bible stories and I am sure that this one will not disappoint as well. Thanks for your nice review. I enjoyed reading it. I like the approach of the author whereby the story is told from the different character's points-of-view.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Kibetious wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 05:07 This is amazing. I enjoy reading the Bible stories and I am sure that this one will not disappoint as well. Thanks for your nice review. I enjoyed reading it. I like the approach of the author whereby the story is told from the different character's points-of-view.
Thanks for commenting. I'm sure you would enjoy this book.
–Author Unknown
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I love bible stories, because there is always something worthwhile to learn from each one. I think it’s sweet that the author would retell the story of the first family with emotions. I would like to “meet” them! Thank you for an interesting review.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Supergirl1 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 14:20 I love bible stories, because there is always something worthwhile to learn from each one. I think it’s sweet that the author would retell the story of the first family with emotions. I would like to “meet” them! Thank you for an interesting review.
I too would love to meet them. Thanks for commenting.
–Author Unknown
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Though this book is far from my religious beliefs, I like the concept of fictionalizing Biblical characters and showing the emotional aspects of Adam and Eve, whom we know to be the first people on earth. Thank you for your insightful review :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Fuzaila wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 10:07 Though this book is far from my religious beliefs, I like the concept of fictionalizing Biblical characters and showing the emotional aspects of Adam and Eve, whom we know to be the first people on earth. Thank you for your insightful review :)
Thanks for commenting :)
–Author Unknown

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”