Review by Miss Yudae Flutterby -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lady Loch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-loch.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing
Reading Device: pdf

Review by Miss Yudae Flutterby -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lady Loch »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches is the first book of a sequel written by H.M. Irwing. What could be more interesting than a tale of love that is wrought with the tragedies of reality? H.M. Irwing breaks and tugs at many hearts with a heart-wrenching story of love that wills to conquer it all.

Just when Anna Simmons thought that she had had enough shares of life’s pain and misfortune, comes what seems to be the worst of it all. The memories of Anna’s thirteen years of life were that of a simple, yet happy family until her biological father’s death. She had a step-father who was abusive to her mother, and a step-brother who shows up later only to commit the murder of his father. All this led our heroine to become insecure, vulnerable, and most decidedly someone of low self-worth.

Anna allowed herself, her identity, and even the simplest of choices depend on Matt Preston. Later, she discovers that behind the mask of a tempting, blue-eyed and blond Matt Preston was the harbinger of the worst of her nightmares. Anna was ruined, not by one or two but by three Prestons. Depraved and shattered she meets Rafael Luis Brown. To her mystery, one look and Rafael saw through her. Rafael Brown is a broken hero of war and a victim of the evils of his destiny. He had enough monsters of his own; because he knew how it felt to be ravaged by them, he felt familiar and longed to comfort Anna Simmons. And unbeknownst to the both of them, he was to become her confidante, protector, and later, lover. What will come of two broken souls meeting only to become entangled by the strings of love?

The story is laid in a clear black-and-white theme- of love and suffering, of victims and perpetrators, and a love against all odds. This love story will appeal to young adults who prefer heavy drama spiced by wild and passionate romance. Teenagers might find this a good read as well but perhaps can also be not as well as it can burst that bubble of a perfect love story with unblemished characters. The humor and the entertaining use of literary devices will hold the interest of and encourage readers to turn pages for more. The story is properly ended, if not completed. The reader will have to read the next book if he/she want answers and a continuation of where the tale has actually left off. There were a couple of typos but insignificantly numbered to be actually noticeable and it will not inhibit the readers’ enjoyment and understanding of the book.

I dislike heavy love stories embedded with reality-based tragedies. But the protagonists’ circumstances are just so frustrating that I am compelled to read for more. I hated the idea that Anna’s confidence depended on Matt Preston. She is an emotionally-weak woman and of little personality; at least in the beginning. I hate Anna’s frailty but her experiences can surely tug a woman’s heart and incite a man’s protective instinct. This book got me on edge with all its sordid details, but still how can love appear so beautiful with such a revolting backdrop?

I have read the second book first so I was surprised by the heaviness of it all. But now, this book introduced the premise of the story well. The romance developed well amidst the horrendous details; one can really appreciate such process unfolding in a story grounded on a dark theme. For all the ambiguous feelings I have felt and the mystery of it all I would rate it with perfect stars but there were a couple of typos so I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miss Yudae Flutterby's review? Post a comment saying so!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”