Review by flocy92 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Willia...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
flocy92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flocy92.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by flocy92 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Willia...

Post by flocy92 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles. A compilation of short fictional stories about life. There are 36 compelling short stories and novella's in this book; the individual stories have their own interesting story line that can be enjoyed by the reader.

Each of the story in the book is realistic in nature so thumbs up to the author for the disclaimer. Being realistic some of the stories reveal the dark side of human nature and its dark indulgences which in my opinion, gives the book dept. I like that the different short stories have their own interesting story line. It elicited different emotions when reading which made for an excellent read. Some of the stories are gruesome and brutal, which is a little to jarring for my taste but, I liked it in the end and I`m sure it will be enjoyed by other realistic fiction fans as well.

The theme of each of the short story in the book varies which again make`s each of the stories all the more interesting; to name a few, there is; love, judgement, survival, good and evil, deception and coming of age. The setting of the place and the time also varies from one story to another, which made for an interesting time imagining the different places and time frames. I think this will also be enjoyed and appreciated by other readers.

The illustrations at the beginning of each short story and novella gives the book a pleasing aesthetic, and it also set the mood and tone of the story going forward. There was little to no noticeable grammatical errors which I greatly appreciate as a reader; it made for a pleasing read, and I`m sure this will be appreciated by other readers, and it also showed the book was professionally edited and of high quality.

With some of the short stories being gruesome in nature with the usual opposing protagonist and antagonist; I appreciate that there is always one character in the story with a good moral character, that questions the morality of the main characters, which I found to be satisfying and gives a good balance to the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I give it this rating because the short stories are very well written, with no noticeable grammatical errors, and the stories are very interesting to read. I recommend it to realistic fiction fans, it is an excellent read and will be highly enjoyed.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like flocy92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Which story did you enjoy the most? Which story did you hate?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I liked how carefully the author described his characters’ feelings. While reading the stories, I think I really felt his characters, like I was watching them. Thanks for a beautiful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”