Review by Juanita700 -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia’s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by Juanita700 -- Gringo

Post by Juanita700 »

[i][Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.][/i]

[rbc=4]id332523-125[/rbc][i]CFollowing is an OnlineBookClub.org Review of [quote]Gringo: My life on the Edge as an international Fugitive.[/quote][/i] by Dan "Tito" Davis with Peter Conti.

[i]Gringo: My life on the edge as an international fugitive'[/i] is a biography of Dan "Tito" Davis. Dan was born on the tenth of July 1953 in the Capital of Pierre in South Dakota. He grew up in a small town and lived a life free from the destructive influences of drugs. They went fishing, hunting hiked and played sports. His world was small.

He had hard-working, honest parents that gave him a down to earth education. He learned to work hard and had his first job at the age of ten as a Flag boy. They had to mark the routes for the Crop Dusters. His second at Sixteen as a Jockey and even won a 100 races.

He was a good student at school and had the opportunity to study further. A privilege that his parents did not have. He had a car and $ 11 000 to his name as he enrolled at " Black Hills state college in Spearfish, South Dakota."

How could hard-working parents foresee that their eldest son would turn into a wanted criminal?

We find Dan on a train station as he is fleeing the international law into Mexico. He enters a world that can only describe as very dangerous as he navigates his way into it.

"Gringo" is unique as it not a biography of a famous actor or president, but of a criminal fleeing from the law.

I like the book despite the fact that I wondered what I will find in it. We tend to judge people so easily and someone that runs from the law must be bad. "Gringo" is not good he messes up quite a lot. More than most and the people he had in his life were notorious, to say the least. The places he finds himself is degrading. Many situations so life-threatening and living in some else name a lie.

Why would anyone like to read a book about someone like that?

I like the book because it was fast paced and read like a movie and seemed unreal as the life of a real person. The saying that the 'truth is sometimes stranger than fiction." seems appropriate here. I traveled in my mind's eye to countries where people live beyond the breadline in desperate circumstances that shocked and saddened me. I meet that people that are destructive, criminal minded, but that try just to survive. I learned about the strange cultures that I did not know exist.

I do not recommend the book to sensitive readers that will be offended at cultures that are very strange, even to a point of being vulgar.

I recommend this book to readers that want to see the eye through someone like "Gringo" because there are more to this book than the obvious. Reading between the lines you find, friendship, love that exists or should exist between all people. You also find betrayal and all the range of emotions that are part of being human. You meet a person who tried to improve himself despite being on a path that contradicts it.

I did not find any grammatical mistakes of any kind and therefore rate this book [b]4 out of 4.[/b].
"

[i]Gringo [/i]
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ?id=332523]on Bookshelves[/url] | [amazon=B072HFPZSF]on Amazon[/amazon]

[i]Like Juanita700's review? Post a comment saying so![/i]
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

As humans, we all err. I do hope that the author finds and maximises his chance at redemption just as I hope we all would. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”