Review by prospero360 -- The Wall by Some Guy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review by prospero360 -- The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Wall" by Some Guy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Wall (Volume One: Guardian's Redemption) by Some Guy is the first part of The Wall Series. It is a short paranormal fiction thriller that revolves around Forge (a.k.a Gunns), the leader of a team of soldiers called the Wrecking Crew. The story kicked off with one of the most disturbing prologues I've read in a while. Forge and his team were being tortured for information about their failed mission in Afghanistan. They were eventually dismissed from the army, and this dented their hopes of becoming heroes. They had to settle for working as security to the president of the United States, Jonathan Rothchild, and his family. Although their new job was very rewarding financially, Forge wasn't satisfied. He valued service and honor over money.

The story advanced to the unveiling of the wall built at the Mexican border, most likely influenced by President Trump’s project to build an impenetrable wall between America and Mexico. During the event, there was an almost successful attempt on the president's life. The president tasked Forge and his team with finding those responsible for the attempt on his life. Forge also hoped to find redemption for things he did in the past.

There was a lot I liked about The Wall, even though it's not one of my favorite genres. Reading this book was just an experiment for me in the first place, and the results were positive. When I started reading the prologue, I was a bit confused and had a lot of questions as to why the author began the story in that way. However, as I went further into the book, the story gradually answered most of my questions. The questions left unanswered fuels my anticipation for the second book in the series. I really like the character development in this book. I didn't expect the characters to be as well developed and realistic as they were, considering the book's length and the difficulty to create realistic fictional characters.

From a technical standpoint, the book was devoid of grammatical errors, but I noticed some instances where words were unnecessarily underlined. For example, in the first chapter, "No time to waste" was underlined. This pops up almost throughout the book and it was distracting at times.  I enjoyed the author's fast-paced and descriptive writing in this book. It made me feel like I was watching the story as a movie, and I could hardly put the book down once I started reading. I really enjoyed the use of graphics in the book. The graphic illustrations made the story more exciting. It also helped me visualize what the author was talking about better.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Wall. It has convinced me to read more thrillers. It has a really interesting plot and realistic characters. It is also well edited with the exception of the distracting underlined words. I also didn't like the action Forge took in the last chapter, on his road to redemption. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend The Wall to lovers of supernatural thrillers. The book also contains violence and strong language. Readers discretion is advised.

The Wall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

I'm not really into thrillers, although this one seems to have an interesting plot. Maybe I should experiment just as you have done. Excellent review.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

This is my kind of genre.I enjoy thrillers.I look forward to reading this book.Thanks for the insightful review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I have also read and reviewed this book. Like you, I enjoyed reading it and I can't wait for the second installation, since the end left me hanging. Intriguing review.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 13:20 I have also read and reviewed this book. Like you, I enjoyed reading it and I can't wait for the second installation, since the end left me hanging. Intriguing review.
I read this after I read your review on it. So, thank you for pointing me towards this book in the first place :)
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Nma26 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 09:04 This is my kind of genre.I enjoy thrillers.I look forward to reading this book.Thanks for the insightful review.
You're very welcome.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

prospero360 wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 13:53
Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 13:20 I have also read and reviewed this book. Like you, I enjoyed reading it and I can't wait for the second installation, since the end left me hanging. Intriguing review.
I read this after I read your review on it. So, thank you for pointing me towards this book in the first place :)
Wow! I'm glad I could help.😊
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds amazing! Even though I'm not much into thrillers I might just pick this one up. It's weird that some parts were underlined, though. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

The violence and strong language used in this book will definitely require viewers descrition. Thanks for the review.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I don't think I would ever pick up this book based on the cover but I think I will give it a shot after reading your review. Sounds fast-paced and interesting if nothing else. Thank you for the review.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

Thanks for the great review, it sounds really interesting iam a thriller lover too.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Excellent review! I'm not a big fan of the genre as well, but your review makes me interested. However, I don't have the patience for cliffhangers and series. Thank you for your thorough review. :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I'm not so comfortable with the author starting the book with a torture scene.Maybe when I read the book, I will find out why.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book.I like the fact that it has an interesting plot and realistic characters.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I love thrillers. This book seems to have enough action to it to keep me entertained. Thank you.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”