Review by RishyR -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RishyR
Currently Reading: Walking Disaster
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishyr.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by RishyR -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by RishyR »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley is a children's book about a boy named Sigfried, his smelly book and smelly socks. Even though little Sigfried's book is incredibly smelly, can the various smells compare to his equally or even more so, incredibly smelly socks?

The author did an excellent job in telling a gross but utterly cute story of a young boy named Sigfried and the many gross smells he has encountered and identified in his book. Smells from old pizza to mustard stains, beans to dog pee and peanut butter to green spaghetti. He truly has a smelly book. At least this is what we are led to believe until we get to his socks.

Sigfried's under-bed sock collection is the smelliest of smells and I think his socks win in comparison to the other copious smells in this book. With cringe-worthy sock comparisons to the likes of rotten cabbage and toilet smells, I can literally hear kids voicing out a loud “ew” at the mention of some of these smells as told in the story and laughing at the absurdity. I loved that each sock was different colored and had different icky smells.
I was definitely grossed out just from thinking of the smelly things mentioned in the book on a real-life basis, but that may just be me. There was one shining clean moment in the story, but that was quickly taken away with the introduction of snot... nasty and too funny. The deadpan expression of the character illustrated that took away the only clean page in Sigfried's book is perfect and makes the funny moment for me.

The author ends the book as it begins by grossing us out with Sigfried’s choice of places to wash his socks when he finally decides to clean them. Sigfried’s character definitely embodies a messy little boy in a laugh out loud way. Each page is illustrated perfectly for kids with appropriate character drawings and font choice is whimsical and fun. It’s just the right story length for kids and the adults that may end up having to read and re-read this book to their children.
This is a book that will delight little kids and gross-out adults with the right ick factor that is kid appropriate and fun. I think this will be a greatly entertaining book to read with kids.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
I would have given it a 4, but I got one spelling error, or at least what seems to be a spelling error.

This book is perfect for kids in the age group suggested and some adults. Just fun to read and entertaining.
Not good reading for older kids that have moved on from childish stories.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RishyR's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”